HikVision DS-1280ZJ-DM21 correct way for a watertight installation

Reaction score
Can I have some help with how to correctly install the following please

Junction box:
HikVision DS-1280ZJ-DM21

IP cam:
HikVision DS-2CD2347G1-L(U)

The IP camera comes with a waterproof gland that seals the RJ45 connectors together in a watertight fit but I didn’t manage to get it to fit into the base and it broke off so I connected up the RJ45 connectors inside the junction box and after it rained the camera failed due to corrosion on the RJ45 connectors

I thought the junction box made it watertight but now I’m wondering if should of use tried harder to fit the supplied waterproof gland that came with the IP camera inside the junction box?

Fortunately I managed to repair the camera by looking up a pin out but as I had to cut the female RJ45 off and use an indoor rated IDC junction box I will use this camera indoors and I have another new one to put outside but I don’t want to mess this one up so I was hoping I can get some help on where I went wrong?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like the first issue was trying to get the so-called "waterproof gland" into the junction box when it broke. Then the second issue happened when you "...connected up the RJ45 connectors inside the junction box" and then you likely failed to weatherproof your connections because you thought the box was "waterproof".

The sad fact is that most typical junction boxes and connectors for cameras cannot be placed in the direct, pouring rain. Due mainly to thermal cycling (heating up and cooling off) they heat up during the day then at night when they cool off they draw in damp outside air which condenses and collects as it does not exit well. Even small drain holes in a box may be too small for the condensate to exit due to the water's surface tension and lack of positive pressure to force it out....or bugs, dirt, etc. Non-precision box and connector surfaces , poor gasket performance or improper installation can also allow moisture intrusion.

So the best idea, IMO, is for you to waterproof that so-called "waterproof" connector on the pigtail or any Ethernet connection anywhere outdoors, even if the box is under a roof eave or the connection is inside the box. Here's my suggestion for future installs:
  • Use dielectric grease on both the male RJ-45 and in the female where it connects.
  • Wrap the entire junction with self-fusing rubber tape, don't be stingy, go past barrel connector and on out pigtail a couple of inches on both ends. This self-curing or self-fusing (vulcanizing) process is also employed by Coax Seal, self-sealing mastic pads....many names and labels for the same process.
  • Over-wrap all that self-fusing rubber tape TIGHTLY with 3M 33+ or 88 vinyl electrical tape to aid and speed up the curing process but it will remain on.
  • When possible, locate camera, its pigtail and junction box with connection out of direct weather. Direct rain and direct UV shorten the life of all devices, even the ones that are rated "for outdoor use."
If you need a replacement barrel connector for a broken one, try these. Although I have not personally used these, I understand they can be installed over a pre-installed RJ-45.

Last edited:

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the first issue was trying to get the so-called "waterproof gland" into the junction box when it broke. Then the second issue happened when you "...connected up the RJ45 connectors inside the junction box" and then you likely failed to weatherproof your connections because you thought the box was "waterproof".

The sad fact is that most typical junction boxes and connectors for cameras cannot be placed in the direct, pouring rain. Due mainly to thermal cycling (heating up and cooling off) they heat up during the day then at night when they cool off they draw in damp outside air which condenses and collects as it does not exit well. Even small drain holes in a box may be too small for the condensate to exit due to the water's surface tension and lack of positive pressure to force it out....or bugs, dirt, etc. Non-precision box and connector surfaces , poor gasket performance or improper installation can also allow moisture intrusion.

So the best idea, IMO, is for you to waterproof that so-called "waterproof" connector on the pigtail or any Ethernet connection anywhere outdoors, even if the box is under a roof eave or the connection is inside the box. Here's my suggestion for future installs:
  • Use dielectric grease on both the male RJ-45 and in the female where it connects.
  • Wrap the entire junction with self-fusing rubber tape, don't be stingy, go past barrel connector and on out pigtail a couple of inches on both ends. This self-curing or self-fusing (vulcanizing) process is also employed by Coax Seal, self-sealing mastic pads....many names and labels for the same process.
  • Over-wrap all that self-fusing rubber tape TIGHTLY with 3M 33+ or 88 vinyl electrical tape to aid and speed up the curing process but it will remain on.
  • When possible, locate camera, its pigtail and junction box with connection out of direct weather. Direct rain and direct UV shorten the life of all devices, even the ones that are rated "for outdoor use."
If you need a replacement barrel connector for a broken one, try these. Although I have not personally used these, I understand they can be installed over a pre-installed RJ-45.
We are truly indebted, Thanks Doug Old nearly irrelevant Vet with Smart, beautiful, blonde, hot wife, Sara

d5775927

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What about this barrel connector:

Is it better than:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That joins two male RJ-45's under "weather-proofed" conditions

This allows a RJ-45 Male to couple with the female from the cam's pigtail, also deemed "weather-proof".

dimammx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score