Hikvision DS-2CD2032- DSL Broadband

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi

i was looking for advice on broadband to use with 3 * Hikvision DS-2CD2032.

I have two options:
  • DSL 4MB download with 0.375MB upload and unlimited data. - the upload speed for this is obviously very poor.
  • 4G broadband- 24MB down with 16MB up and 15GB data allowance. - the speed is better but i have concerns on the data cap, the vendor does not seem to support port forwarding or static IP assignment.

I'm basically looking to be able to remotely connect to the system approx 3-4 times a day and have a look at the camera's for a few minutes. I would also like to be able to send an image on motion detection to my email account.

Would someone give advice on the broadband and if the DSL is even usable with the poor upload speed, i know it probably depend on frame rates etc- but I really want to just view the camera's not looking for crazy framerates.
I would like the 3MP and maybe a higher framerate that could record to an NVR that i could physically collect every week or so, but not for remote viewing.

Thanks in advance

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't offer any advice on which service to get as I don't know that it is possible to use the upload speed of the DSL to remote view cameras; not sure it is fast enough. I can tell you however, that I use the Blue Iris app on iPhone to connect to my BI server on a regular basis and it uses very little of my data overall. I stream music, video, get on Internet and connect to my cameras and this billing cycle (10 days) I have only used 530MB of my data plan if that is any indicator. You milage may vary.

Good luck with your choices!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can connect remotely via the substream and should be fine even with dsl..

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for both posts, is port forwarding needed and a static IP- anyone using 4G with their camera's ?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are going to need port forwarding in almost any case you want to access an internal device from outside your network. Static IP can be gotten around with thing like DynDNS and No-IP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean 4g on the camera end, then you will have an issue as most providers dont give you an external ip address...Some like verizon charge 500 for this..not sure if there are others who dont have this limitation..

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you mean 4g on the camera end, then you will have an issue as most providers dont give you an external ip address...Some like verizon charge 500 for this..not sure if there are others who dont have this limitation..
yes i mean 4G on the camera end - anyone doing this ?
thanks does the DynDNS get around this external IP issue or is this separate ?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is separate as those DNS services do not give you an IP address, they only allow you to get to the provided IP address easier (and tracks changes if not static).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes i mean 4G on the camera end - anyone doing this ?
thanks does the DynDNS get around this external IP issue or is this separate ?
No dyndns will not help with this issue...I know folks are doing it - not sure what they are using.. they may use a service that provides a static ip address or use a small windows tablet/pc that they can remote in via teamviewer...

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No dyndns will not help with this issue...I know folks are doing it - not sure what they are using.. they may use a service that provides a static ip address or use a small windows tablet/pc that they can remote in via teamviewer...
can you explain a bit about why the Dyndns solution does not work and why the external IP is needed, i have some knowledge in networking and am interested in this

thanks this is very helpful

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
can you explain a bit about why the Dyndns solution does not work and why the external IP is needed, i have some knowledge in networking and am interested in this

thanks this is very helpful
In order to connect to a remote device you need to know its external ip..DYNDNS, keeps tabs on this external ip and allows you to use a designated URL that always points to your external ip address...for example mycams.dyndns.org
For whatever reason verizon puts you behind their own firewall and you cannot get to your device...its more technical than than - beyond my pay grade, but it wont work...you can google it and see....same applies to most satellite internet services.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks dont the HIKvision cameras also have their own alternative to DynDns , i dont get why it doesnt work though as i though it will not need a static ip address then.
Im assuming the service provider screws this up though - must google it

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i dont get why it doesnt work though as i though it will not need a static ip address then.
It is because the service provider is not exposing the external IP address for your connection. In some of these services, the provider is putting you on an internal network and doesn't allow for you to know what the external IP is. The IP to you would look something like 192.168.XXX.XXX or the like. Without the external IP address known, you can't tell a remote computer how to get there.

skjom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can connect remotely via the substream and should be fine even with dsl..
Hi i think i am back to DSL as the only option as 4G doesnt seem to be an option- do you think 0.375MB upload would be sufficent so to view the camera remotely - i thought it would be too slow - anyone have any sample pics of the substream type quality?

thanks