Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I - Found a way to eliminate all the night noise

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every since I upgraded my security system I have been disappointed in all the night picture noise of the DS-2CD2032-I. My turret cams don't seem to have the issue. Playing with the settings tonight I was able to eliminate it. I have not seen what the settings look like during the day, picture could be completely washed out, but the night picture is 100X improved.

View Videos at full screen by clicking the Youtube icon.

DS-2CD2032-I - Before (Lots of Noise)

DS-2CD2032-I - After (Almost No Noise)

To remove the noise, under Advanced Configuration, Image, Exposure settings, I changed Exposure Time to "1/6" and turned the Gain down to "55". It was the Gain that was introducing all the noise. Once you change the settings it will take about 15 seconds for the camera to adjust.
2032NoiseFix.jpg

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1/6! You need more light/IR.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1/6! You need more light/IR.
The default was 1/30 and gain set to 100. Lighting / IR in the 2 vids is identical. Only difference in the video is the noise reduction.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With those settings you are allowing more light to the sensor (longer exposure) and allowing a lower gain setting on the sensor amplifiers (so lower noise) but you will certainly see the adverse effects in increased motion blur unfortunately.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With those settings you are allowing more light to the sensor (longer exposure) and allowing a lower gain setting on the sensor amplifiers (so lower noise) but you will certainly see the adverse effects in increased motion blur unfortunately.
Now that it is daylight, picture looks good. I have not noticed any adverse effects or motion blur. I can still read license plates on moving cars with my 12mm 2032. If i was experiencing motion blur it wouldn't be possible. Will have to check for it at night though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that it is daylight, picture looks good. I have not noticed any adverse effects or motion blur. I can still read license plates on moving cars with my 12mm 2032. If i was experiencing motion blur it wouldn't be possible. Will have to check for it at night though.
You will see insane blurring at night...the camera will be unusable.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will see insane blurring at night...the camera will be unusable.
I just played back some night video from a few days ago and compared it to last night after I made the settings changes and there is noticeably more motion blur. It's not horrible but more than I would like. I will have to see if I can find a balance between motion blur and noise. It's that or swap the 2032 for turrets that don't have the noise issue.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, this is not a way. Every cam that will have Exposure time set to 1/6 second will produce 6fps and get less noise.
If you are good with blur and 6 fps - thats ok.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless there is a a lot of ambient light available. No?
True, but only because a lot more light would prevent the camera from dropping to a 1/6 shutter speed...Have to remember that the shutter speed on Hikvision's are not "manual shutter", rather it's the "minimum auto-shutter"...Setting it to 1/6 means it will only drop as low as 1/6 if/when lighting is low enough for the camera to require it.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just played back some night video from a few days ago and compared it to last night after I made the settings changes and there is noticeably more motion blur. It's not horrible but more than I would like. I will have to see if I can find a balance between motion blur and noise. It's that or swap the 2032 for turrets that don't have the noise issue.
Yeah, as others have stated (and obviously you've learned yourself from experience), the 1/6 isn't going to work if you're trying to identify moving people or vehicles....The lower gain setting will reduce noise without the blurring effect, but will also darken the image, so you have to be careful with lowering it too much.

Lowering the Sharpness setting will also reduce the noise some, but that's because it blurs the pixels together...Lower it too much and you may make the license plates too blurry to read.

It really is a trial and error situation. There's lots of options to correct problems (such as low light, noise, ect.), but most of the time improving one thing will come at the expense of degrading other things....You run into this issue with photography in general. Reduce shutter speed, you improve low light situations at the cost of blurring motion; raise it and you decrease motion blur while darkening the picture...Open the aperture wider, you improve low light situations at the cost of messing up your depth of field....Raise the ISO and you brighten the image at the cost of adding noise/grain to the image. It's a matter of determining what you can afford to sacrifice in order to find out what you can adjust to improve the things you can't sacrifice on....and when it comes to these budget security cams, your options are even more limited from professional photography cams (for example, the Hikvision bullets won't allow you to adjust aperture size, etc..)

The best solution both with budget security cams and professional photography equipment is to get the best ambient scene before it reaches the camera's sensor, rather than letting an image with strong limitations enter the camera and expecting the camera to compensate.....That is to say, it's better to have enough physical light in your scene rather than giving the camera a dark image and expecting it to compensate by altering the shutter speed, etc.

The Turret has a stronger IR light, so it's always going to give a better image in low light situations, because it's IR light is proving more Infrared lighting to it's surroundings. Getting a stronger ambient or infrared light and shining it onto the bullet cams scene will make it produce less noise without the adverse effects of blurring.

The key is improving the lighting conditions outside of the camera as much as possible first, then only use the camera's settings to compensate for the things you absolutely cannot control in the environment.

AleXis6

n3wb
Reaction score
1/6 is to long exposure for moving subjects!! you couldn't recognize faces if people will be moving