Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I -- offline; can't login to HikVision page

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought 4 new Hikvision cameras: Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I

I am using Windows 10 pro on an HP ProBook 4540s. (But have also tried all of this on my other computer, an HP Elitebook with Windows 10.)

Router/modem is Actiontec GT784WN. Connected to the uplink port of an 8-port PoE switch. Connected one camera to one of the PoE switch ports. yellow and green lights on the PoE flash. Camera glows red when first connected (and it is slightly warm once connected for a few minutes); so PoE power appears to be supplied. I've checked all ethernet cables in use, and have swapped out to verify they are working.

Installed the SADP software and iVMS-4200 software.

Modem IP address is dynamic. Shows that the IP Camera is at IP address 192.168.0.42 Hostname: "unknown". MAC address: 4c:bd:8f:64:6a:ec

In SADP, camera IP address is shown as: 192.168.0.42; gateway is 192.168.0.108. Port is 8000.

Router/modem firewall settings appear to show the LAN IP address of 192.168.0.42 under the "Applied port forwarding rules", six different start/end ports via TCP protocal. This may be the result of my repeated efforts to get the camera working. Not sure. Also not sure that port forwarding should be used here.

In SADP, I enabled DHCP and enable Hik-Vision Connect; both boxes are checked. Admin password has been set (and accurately written down to avoid problems down the road).

I can ping the camera via the CMD shell. I can also ping from Router page in my browser.

In iVMS, I added the camera via the "device manager"; but it shows the camera as "offline". The "activate" item in the device manager is dimmed. No camera image appears in the iVMS "Main View".

Tried entering the camera IP address in my browser. This takes me directly to a HikVision login page. When I key in my username and password (which I set in the iVMS device manager when adding the camera), I get a message: "Incorrect user name or password. The device will be locked after 4 failed login attempts." I tried with the "admin" and "12345" username/pass. That also failed. Tried doing this via another one of the HikVision cameras a received, going through a complete set up (with new username and pass associated with the different camera. Same result. I am positive that I am using an accurate username and password when setting up.)

I have tried doing all this several times, on two different computers connected to my home network. Even tried completely uninstalling the SADP and iVMS software, using a different camera, etc. Same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have spent way too long trying to troubleshoot and about ready to throw everything into the trash and order different make of IP camera.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is turn off uPNP/port forwarding, and set up a VPN.

Fenderman will be here shortly to point this out to you, so consider this a preemptive warning.

That said, when you have a brand-new camera, the first time you go to the login page, you are normally prompted to supply an admin password. So, try resetting the camera via SADP/the reset button, and it should show as "inactive" in SADP after it resets. Then, you can use a browser to go to the camera, and set the password through the web interface.

What firmware rev are the cameras at?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Admin password has been set (and accurately written down to avoid problems down the road).
How did you set this - via SADP?
*edit* OK - I now see you said "(which I set in the iVMS device manager when adding the camera)"

I don't think you have said what SADP now shows for the camera status.
If you've not checked again with SADP - suggestion :

In SADP (version 3.x ?) try changing something such as fixing the IP address, using the password you have written down.
If that works, the password is OK.
I'm guessing here - did you use a strong password with non-alpha characters, and does iVMS disallow some but SADP doesn't?

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is turn off uPNP/port forwarding, and set up a VPN.

Fenderman will be here shortly to point this out to you, so consider this a preemptive warning.

That said, when you have a brand-new camera, the first time you go to the login page, you are normally prompted to supply an admin password. So, try resetting the camera via SADP/the reset button, and it should show as "inactive" in SADP after it resets. Then, you can use a browser to go to the camera, and set the password through the web interface.

What firmware rev are the cameras at?
uPNP/port forwarding now turned off.

Working on setting up a VPN.

Don't see how to reset the camera via SADP (i.e., nothing apparent in the software interface). That said, do I keep the apps. open, the camera connected, and simply press the reset button with a paperclip?

firmware rev (as shown in iVMS) is V5.4.5build 170124.

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you set this - via SADP?
*edit* OK - I now see you said "(which I set in the iVMS device manager when adding the camera)"

I don't think you have said what SADP now shows for the camera status.
If you've not checked again with SADP - suggestion :

In SADP (version 3.x ?) try changing something such as fixing the IP address, using the password you have written down.
If that works, the password is OK.
I'm guessing here - did you use a strong password with non-alpha characters, and does iVMS disallow some but SADP doesn't?
SADP version V.3.0.0.10build20170119

SADP shows camera status: "Active"

Password in SADP works. I can change gateway address, and in fact did so (from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.108).

I did use a relatively strong pass (with lower and caps, with on single non-alpha character).

Not sure what you mean by "does iVMS disallow some but SADP doesn't?" . . . "disallow" . . . what?

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
have now reset camera. IP address is now 192.168.1.64; gateway is 192.168.1.1

But router/modem is 192.168.0.1 and everything on the network is 192.168.0.xxx

So . . . do I change the IP camera IP address, via SADP, to 192.168.0.xxx? and gateway to 192.168.0.10x. Do I change these parameters in iVSM?

In iVSM, camera appears at the bottom in Device Manager: Security "Active", but not "Added". Hik-Connect status is "ON"; Support Hik-Connect "Yes"

When I try to "Add" to Client, . . . in IP/Domain mode, the camera is added, message is "Connecting to device failed; device is offline".

josey

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I got it to work. I did as above following reset. Changed the reset IPv4 address and gateway address as noted. The keyed in the new address (192.168.0.64) into the browers. Took me to the Hikvision login. Used the "admin" username and my newly selected password (which I generated in iVMS). The image appeared in the browser. Then went back to iVMS, Device Manager, and "Added to Client"; keyed in username and pass again. That did it.

Thanks for those who helped. Hopefully, this will do it.