Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-LU set up help ?

stokieman

n3wb
Reaction score
hi

hi Just purchased this camera and am using it with synology nas and am mostly impressed using synology surveilance station but the thing causing me issues is motion detection. Naturally i want to use this feature but i am getting masses of eroneous detections i have tried using motion detection using synology surveilance station aswell as using the camera only settings both options give poor detection results.

If i turn down sensitivity either via surveilance station or camera settings eroneous alerts continue but then actual motion i want to detect (people) dont trigger an alert. My prefarance is to use camera settings for motion detection as this takes some strain off my nas and i beleive is genrally recomended so is there a best way to fine tune the motion detection settings in a realtively easy way?

The camera was purchased from a uk supplier with releavant firmware which is V5.7.2 build 211109 i also if possible would like advice on which encoding method is best synology say h264+ or h265 is best ?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the AI functions of the camera or just motion detection? motion detection without AI will give a lot more false.

This will explain H264 versus H265 a little better.

H265 in theory provides more storage as it compresses differently, but part of that compression means it macro blocks big areas of the image that it thinks isn't moving. However, it also takes more processing power of the already small CPU in the camera and that can be problematic if someone is maxing out the camera and then it stutters.

In theory it is supposed to need 30% less storage than H264, but most of us have found it isn't that much. Mine was less than few minutes per day. And to my eye and others that I showed clips to and just said do you like video 1 or video 2 better, everyone thought the H264 provided a better image.

The left image is H264, so all the blocks are the same size corresponding to the resolution of the camera. H265 takes areas that it doesn't think has motion and makes them into bigger blocks and in doing so lessens the resolution yet increases the CPU demand to develop these larger blocks.

In theory H265 is supposed to need half the bitrate because of the macroblocking. But if there is a lot of motion in the image, then it becomes a pixelated mess. The only way to get around that is a higher bitrate. But if you need to run the same bitrate for H265 as you do H264, then the storage savings is zero. Storage is computed based on multiplying bitrate, FPS, and resolution.

1638584913822.png

In my testing I have one camera that sees a parked car in front of my house. H265 sees that the car isn't moving, so it macroblocks the whole car and surrounding area. Then the car owner walked up to the car and got in and the motion is missed because the macroblock being so large. Or if it catches it, because the bitrate is low, it is a pixelated mess during the critical capture point and by the time H265 adjusts to there is now motion, the ideal capture is missed.

In my case, the car is clear and defined in H264, but is blurry and soft edges in H265.

H265 is one of those theory things that sounds good, but reality use is much different.

As always, YMMV. But do not use Codec with BI or you may have trouble, so just stick with H264 without the H or B or + after.

stokieman

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using the AI functions of the camera or just motion detection? motion detection without AI will give a lot more false.

This will explain H264 versus H265 a little better.

H265 in theory provides more storage as it compresses differently, but part of that compression means it macro blocks big areas of the image that it thinks isn't moving. However, it also takes more processing power of the already small CPU in the camera and that can be problematic if someone is maxing out the camera and then it stutters.

In theory it is supposed to need 30% less storage than H264, but most of us have found it isn't that much. Mine was less than few minutes per day. And to my eye and others that I showed clips to and just said do you like video 1 or video 2 better, everyone thought the H264 provided a better image.

The left image is H264, so all the blocks are the same size corresponding to the resolution of the camera. H265 takes areas that it doesn't think has motion and makes them into bigger blocks and in doing so lessens the resolution yet increases the CPU demand to develop these larger blocks.

In theory H265 is supposed to need half the bitrate because of the macroblocking. But if there is a lot of motion in the image, then it becomes a pixelated mess. The only way to get around that is a higher bitrate. But if you need to run the same bitrate for H265 as you do H264, then the storage savings is zero. Storage is computed based on multiplying bitrate, FPS, and resolution.

1638584913822.png

In my testing I have one camera that sees a parked car in front of my house. H265 sees that the car isn't moving, so it macroblocks the whole car and surrounding area. Then the car owner walked up to the car and got in and the motion is missed because the macroblock being so large. Or if it catches it, because the bitrate is low, it is a pixelated mess during the critical capture point and by the time H265 adjusts to there is now motion, the ideal capture is missed.

In my case, the car is clear and defined in H264, but is blurry and soft edges in H265.

H265 is one of those theory things that sounds good, but reality use is much different.

As always, YMMV. But do not use Codec with BI or you may have trouble, so just stick with H264 without the H or B or + after.
Thx

For that at the moment no Ai as away from home and lack use of computer but what settings would you recommend for the ai ? I set recording to h264+ and cpu utilisation on nas seemed to drop but will set back to plain h264.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i am getting masses of eroneous detections i have tried using motion detection using synology surveilance station aswell as using the camera only settings both options give poor detection results.
To reduce unwanted detections, you'll need to use A 'Smart Event', either Line Crossing Detection or Intrusion detection, and select either / or both Human or Vehicle detection in the camera web GUI event configuration.
Simple motion detection will generate very many irrelevant alerts if the scene has trees, plants, birds, bushes etc..

synology nas and am mostly impressed using synology surveilance station
Checking the Synology SS camera compatibility list - I don't see the DS-2CD2087G2-LU listed. Maybe I missed it.
Can you confirm what model you've added the camera as?
If it is 'Generic Hikvision' it may be that the basic model is only using Motion detection events.

Also - in the SS compatibility list, it does not list whether any smart events are supported. Unlike QNAP Surveillance Station.
When you've configured the camera in SS, does it give you any Smart Event configuration options?

Such as this example from QNAP SS (I've not seen Synology SS, so unaware what event types it supports) :

1656282104331.png

stokieman

n3wb
Reaction score
To reduce unwanted detections, you'll need to use A 'Smart Event', either Line Crossing Detection or Intrusion detection, and select either / or both Human or Vehicle detection in the camera web GUI event configuration.
Simple motion detection will generate very many irrelevant alerts if the scene has trees, plants, birds, bushes etc..

Checking the Synology SS camera compatibility list - I don't see the DS-2CD2087G2-LU listed. Maybe I missed it.
Can you confirm what model you've added the camera as?
If it is 'Generic Hikvision' it may be that the basic model is only using Motion detection events.

Also - in the SS compatibility list, it does not list whether any smart events are supported. Unlike QNAP Surveillance Station.
When you've configured the camera in SS, does it give you any Smart Event configuration options?

Such as this example from QNAP SS (I've not seen Synology SS, so unaware what event types it supports) :

View attachment 131858
Thx for your reply I have added the camera as general hikvision onvif but surveillance station does detect all of the smart features the camera has ie line cross and entrance exit events. Should I be using these and disabling motion. ?

Attachments

Last edited: