Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS repeatedly losing signal (iVMS-4200 + BI)

trignflo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have three Hikvision cameras (2 x DS-2DC2042WD) & one new acquired DS-2CD2142FWD. All three have the latest firmware V5.4.5 build 170124 and a running at 1920x1080 with a frame rate of 8. All have been set to max bit rate of 6144Kbps. All three are using a 8 port (4 x POE) unmanaged hub. I'm using BI for recording cameras on dedicated PC currently running at 34% CPU according to BI. I have mirrored all settings for the new camera to the old functioning ones.

The new camera repeatedly drops out, Blue Iris, shows it as a loss of signal then signal restored a common pattern is
11:54:04 signal: network retry
11:54:09 signal: restored
11:55:23 signal network retry
11:56:05 signal: restored
11:57:08 signal: network retry
11:57:23 signal: restored

This cycle happens around every 2 - 3 minutes.

The reported frame rate for the affected camera goes from 0.00 fps up to around 7.00fps then starts going down back to 0.00fps in about six or seven steps.

IvMS-4200 shows all three cameras but the time on the 'faulty camera' will pause in a similar time to that which Blue Iris is reporting. (This I think tells me it's not a Blue Iris issue)

So far, I've tried rebooting the camera to no effect. Removed the other two cameras from POE to see it is a power issue, which had no effect, although IvMS showed an event for unable to connect to these two cameras but the faulty camera produces no events in IvMS even when there is 0 frame rate. I've swapped around the POE sockets to no effect.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try before I remove camera and ask for a replacement?

Many thanks

tnF

trignflo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to Fenderman, the pre-made cable seems to have fixed the issue, although it was interesting as the previous lost connections were every few minutes during the day, but when the camera switched to IR, they were only every four or so hours (if not longer). Issue appears solved though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to Fenderman, the pre-made cable seems to have fixed the issue, although it was interesting as the previous lost connections were every few minutes during the day, but when the camera switched to IR, they were only every four or so hours (if not longer). Issue appears solved though.
Poor cable connection will cause this ..was the old cable wired using the 568b standard?

trignflo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, wired using 586b standard. Is there a different preferred way for cabling CCTV?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, wired using 586b standard. Is there a different preferred way for cabling CCTV?
that is the proper way...often folks simply try to match color which causes this kind of problem as well.
Did you use solid copper? or CCA copper clad aluminium?
it could also be a bad crimp..

trignflo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming I had a least in theory wired them correctly. I think it was a bad crimp from the previous connection but newly crimped connection working. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.