Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IS having problem with Netgear FS728TP

Steve W

n3wb
Reaction score
I have purchased a Netgear POE Switch Model FS728TP for use with my security cameras. All my cameras work except for the Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IS. When I plug it back into a individual POE injector it works but not in the Netgear FS728TP. There are many options that can be changed in the switch including the detection mode which is set to "802.3af 2point only". Any ideas? Thanks.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you try the other modes? Here is a copy-paste from the Help in my FS728TP, question mark button on the PoE page. The default has always worked for me on this Netgear, but you could try the other modes.

Detection Mode - Defines the detection mode which needs to be used on port.
  • "Legacy Only" -- option needs to be used if only Legacy(capactive signature) PD's only needs to be detected.
  • "802.3af 2point Only" -- option needs to be used if only IEEE 802.3af(Resistive signature) PD's only needs to be detected using 2 collected samples.(Default)
  • "802.3af 4point Only" -- option needs to be used if only IEEE 802.3af(Resistive signature) PD's only needs to be detected using 4 collected samples.
  • "802.3af 2point and Legacy" -- option needs to be used if both Legacy & IEEE 802.3af 2point methods needs to be used to detect PD's.
  • "802.3af 4point and Legacy" -- option needs to be used if both Legacy & IEEE 802.3af 4point methods needs to be used to detect PD's.

Steve W

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried all of them last night. It just does not seem to like the Netgear POE Switch. I was thinking of using a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PoE Splitter Adapter (TL-PoE10R) at the camera hoping that it could deal with the 802.3af issues and just give me a 12v source I would them plug in the camera. It says it is 802.3af compliant. Thoughts? The version of the Hikvision is a little unique as I was told never to update the firmware. It was a product sold by Newegg that shipped straight from China. Thanks for your help.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think in that scenario I would use the injector at the switch end, as you already confirmed it will work that way.

The cost of the injector may make replacing the camera with a better one equally costly, in which case I would buy a new camera.

Steve W

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I purchased a splitter from Amazon and I will see if it works with the POE Switch. I will let you know tomorrow. Thanks for your comment.

Steve W

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have figured out that power is getting to the camera. The problem is the data. The switch does not seem to detect the data. The link status shows "link down". If I power it with the POE splitter and run the data back to another switch it works. Something about the data going through the POE switch that does not work. Any ideas on what to check?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have figured out that power is getting to the camera. The problem is the data. The switch does not seem to detect the data. The link status shows "link down". If I power it with the POE splitter and run the data back to another switch it works. Something about the data going through the POE switch that does not work. Any ideas on what to check?
Did you wire the cable using the 568B standard?

Steve W

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. The cables have all been checked and swapped out with other cameras. I hate using an injector when I should be able to use the POE Switch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. The cables have all been checked and swapped out with other cameras. I hate using an injector when I should be able to use the POE Switch.
could be a defective camera...that is a hacked china region cam...
The fact that other cameras worked on the same cable is irrelevant...take the camera down, test with a short store bought premade cable.