Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I Bricked After Firmware Update

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey folks!

With all of the security concerns flying around I thought I'd update my DS-2CD2332-I to the latest firmware. But, I brain-checked and did it without looking on ipcamtalk first, so now I'm hosed.

I obtained the new firmware from DS-2CD2332-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. - it said Firmware: IPC - DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123 - downloaded it and used the camera's web interface to apply the upgrade. It eventually said "upgrading successful" and "rebooting"...but then it was completely inaccessible - in other words, bricked. The hikvision SADP tool does not see it. The camera itself is warm so I know it has power, and I've power-cycled it several times to no avail.

I've been reading on ipcamtalk about TFTP and I have found an old "hikvision" tftp zip from here:

Tech Tips & Tricks: Hikvision TFTP Tool

but I have no clue about how to proceed. The TFTP zip file has a text file "How to upgrade.txt" that has the following steps listed:

1. Rename the firmware to digcap.dav
2. Put the firmware under the same folder of this TFTP
3. Set the IP of computer as 192.0.0.128
4. Camera's IP can be anyone.
5. Run the tftpserv.exe
6. Power off and power on the DVR/DVS/IPC. The device will search the new firmware and upgrade it automatically.
7. Please wait until TFTP shows "Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!" It takes about 5 minutes.
8. Close the TFTP before the camera reboots.
9. DVR/DVS/IPC will restart automatically after upgrading.

1. Are the above steps correct?
2. Where in the heck do I find a functional firmware to change it to (step 1 says rename the firmware to digcap.dav) - question is - what firmware? The only firmware on the hikvision site is the firmware that screwed it up in the first place.

Any guidance will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score