hikvision ds-2cd2342 password change.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had so much trouble with passwords on my NVR and cameras. It would seem that once you setup your NVR password and forget it you are locked out of your cameras as well even when the password is reset on the NVR. I had one of my cameras that I connected to test the NVR and forgot the NVR password, got the NVR password reset, then got the camera reset, then discovered the last camera to be installed also had a password mismatch even though it was working before it was disconnected to install permanently. I know what the camera password is, but it would seem that with v5.4.5 firmware there is no way to change the password. The advance option is not there in the camera menu either. I have tried SADP, IVMS, tried to log in from mozzila and Edge, I just can't find the reset password option for the cameras.
Does anyone know a way around this other than contacting Hikvision for a reset file?

Baz

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a way around this other than contacting Hikvision for a reset file?
A long shot - if the camera had been successfully connected to the NVR, maybe try exporting from the NVR the IPC configuration file.
It's an Excel spreadsheet with the passwords in plain text.

On the newer NVR firmware, I forget exactly which version, there are several 'forgot password' methods to use, including the common 'Security Q&A' method.

For both cameras and NVRs, if you are sure of the firmware version that's already installed, re-installing it with the Hikvision tftp updater tool will reset the configuration back to defaults with either an old default password to be entered, or the device to be 'activated' with a new password.

For the cameras with 5.4.0 or earlier firmware - see also here : Hikvision camera admin password reset tool

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could not find any way to export IPC configuration file. I received my file from Hikvision this morning and all is good again. They are very responsive and helpful, but there must be some other way of changing password on a camera.

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With firmware 5.5.0 you can self reset your own password via 'Security Q&A' if set up. See attached image from a NVR web GUI.

Suggest reading thread
Hikvision IPC Firmware 5.5.0 - released 24 Sept 2017
Beforehand as there’s some pro’s and con’s with this firmware.

There’s always a risk with updating firmware and don’t update a hacked Chinese to English camera.

Attachments

Last edited:

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I am very apprehensive of changing to the 5.5.0 firmware at this stage, especially given the amount of obstacles I have encountered so far just getting this system up and running. :smash: