Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-1 Ip Cameras

bwfc

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Guys
I am a complete novice at this so any help will be appreciated
I have just upgraded my system to a latestHikvision 16 port NVR and 5 x DS-2CD2342WD-1 Ip Cameras

I am experiencing motion blur behind everything that moves in the camera view
Night vision is atrocious
I have contacted Hikviosion support I had one email asking where I purchaesd them from I replied and nothing since then
I have scoured Youtube for help on how to set the cameras settings and to no avail
The images at night are very blurred and grainy and when I zoom in on a still there is no way I can identify any features on a person

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks
Ian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some idea of your configuration settings would help in pointing you in the right direction.
What settings have you customised from the defaults, for example.
Motion blur could be due to too much DNR (digital noise reduction), too slow an aperture setting, for example.
Night vision is atrocious
That's a bit (a lot) subjective - in what way? Grainy, low contrast, blurred? A screenshot would help.
What area are you covering, and what lens focal length did you buy the cameras with?
What additional external light is in use?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some quick comments: I'm sure other users of this specific camera will also offer views.
The picture of a picture makes it a bit uncertain to judge the quality - an image snapshot would be better. Have you zoomed it? Your viewing device will be a lower resolution than the camera.
Despite that - I wouldn't call it 'atrocious', especially if the figure was moving.

On the settings - unless you are seeing a lot of noise with it up higher, having the gain quite low (55) will be causing the exposure to be longer than it need be. Any reason why you don't like it on automatic?
I don't see an issue with the DNR level.
Your i-frame setting of 50 is arguably quite slow relative to the fps of 20. A rule of thumb is to match them.
And the one where you should see a fair improvement - the bit-rate of 5120 is arguably low for that resolution and frame rate, offset a bit by the high i-frame value. I'd have expected to see about twice that value.
Hope that helps - and that other comments are forthcoming.

bwfc

n3wb
Reaction score
Many Thanks for your help
I look forward to any more comments

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
DNR OFF at night, noise reduction 49, and the camera looks like it needs to be swung to the left some more, no one will steal your wall

at night i have to use these settings
exposure 1/25 gain 76
BLC WDR Off
White balance Auto
Image enhancement Normal 42

Day is completely different

and lately i have changed to 1920x1080 as the higher resolution i have found becomes unstable after about 2 weeks and the image just fails to appear, camera seems to run perfectly but with no image ?? running at a lower resolution seems more stable

bwfc

n3wb
Reaction score
Some quick comments: I'm sure other users of this specific camera will also offer views.
The picture of a picture makes it a bit uncertain to judge the quality - an image snapshot would be better. Have you zoomed it? Your viewing device will be a lower resolution than the camera.
Despite that - I wouldn't call it 'atrocious', especially if the figure was moving.

On the settings - unless you are seeing a lot of noise with it up higher, having the gain quite low (55) will be causing the exposure to be longer than it need be. Any reason why you don't like it on automatic?
I don't see an issue with the DNR level.
Your i-frame setting of 50 is arguably quite slow relative to the fps of 20. A rule of thumb is to match them.
And the one where you should see a fair improvement - the bit-rate of 5120 is arguably low for that resolution and frame rate, offset a bit by the high i-frame value. I'd have expected to see about twice that value.
Hope that helps - and that other comments are forthcoming.
HI Alastair
I have tried the settings and will see how we go
I have no option for auto setting its just manual
every time I increase the bitrate and the save the settings then click on the image tab and then go back the bitrate has reverted back
any ideas?
Ian