Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW PIR Settings

JY07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I have Blue Iris setup to listen for PIR alerts for a few Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW cameras I have. The trigger works like it's supposed to, but I'm having issues getting Blue Iris to record a decent clip: either it'll start later than it should, or it'll cut the recording off even if (I'd think) the alert should still be on due to continued motion.

Does anyone have this working on a decent level? It seems like this is a common setup, so I'm guessing I just need to update some configurations, although I'm not entirely sure as to what that would be. I've attached what my settings currently look like.

Thanks!

Attachments

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Howdy, I have the same camera but I really can't explain why you're having an issue with late recordings or recordings being cut off. I can however show you my settings and maybe we can work through this together.
In no particular order....

How's your CPU usage on the Blue Iris machine? Too high and Blue Iris will struggle.
Are you using direct to disc recording? If not, make it easy on the system to record without having to re-encode.
Do you have the iframes set to match the fps setting in your camera? If your camera is set to 20fps then iframes should also be set to 20.

Are you using the same firmware version as I am? If you're using an older version, you should be fine--the version I have limits the number of line crossing options if I remember correctly--I don't use line crossing on this camera, so I upgraded. If you want to upgrade, and you have a US version camera, the firmware is readily available at the US Hikvision website.

Next, I notice you're using "Trigger with DIO input bits" in Blue Iris--are you using equipment that you'd need that checked? To get alarms from the camera using the settings you have in the Hik software, you only need "Trigger using camera's digital input or motion" checked.

I see you use 20 as your pre-trigger video buffer--have you tested higher? My camera is set to 20fps and have my pre-trigger buffer set to 60 (multiples of 20--20=1 second, 40=2 seconds, etc.)

You can see that in addition to PIR alarm I use the camera's motion detection and analysis. I turned both off to use the PIR alarm only, but I couldn't duplicate your problem. FYI, if you're using an sdcard, be sure to set your recording schedule in the camera to "all events" if you do end up using multiple alarms such as motion, PIR, line crossing, etc., otherwise you'll record some but not all events to your sdcard.

It just seems as if Blue Iris is having a hard time getting what it needs from your camera--be sure to set the receive buffer to 20MB in Blue Iris Network IP camera configuration.
Another thing to check in your Hikvision software is that your Live View Parameter Protocol is set to HTTP.

That's all I can think of at the moment--let me know how it turns out.

4-3-2016 9-19-42 AM.png4-3-2016 8-55-57 AM.png4-3-2016 8-54-51 AM.png4-3-2016 8-53-59 AM.png4-3-2016 9-42-25 AM.png4-3-2016 10-03-52 AM.png4-3-2016 8-53-41 AM.png

- - - Updated - - -

More captures:

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think beepsilver nailed it with the iframe interval. Remember that if you are using direct to disc, blue iris only begins recording on a new frame. So if yours is set to the default 50 you will miss motion in the right set of circumstances. Match it to the fps as beep said and increase the pretrigger frames to at least 40 or 60.
Also set your BREAK time to at least 20, if not 30...

JY07

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went through and mimic'd beepsilver's settings and I think all of the cameras are working now as you'd expect. The explanation (and the screen shots) were very helpful

I think the main things were that iframe setting (it was 50 - didn't even know what this was), bumped up the pre-trigger to 3 seconds from 1 second, and the buffer was at 3mb (moved it up to 20).

I'm not sure why I had "Trigger with DIO input bits" set on; I think I was hoping whatever it was would help the situation :) obviously that was not the case

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Congratulations==glad you got it working :)

Finding an online manual for the Hikvision cameras is often not very informative--if you find a setting that you don't know what it is or does, google it and you'll often find an ipcamtalk discussion result about that particular setting. On the other hand, the Blue Iris help system is very informative for most features, so that's also a good resource for you. Congrats again!