Hikvision DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS defect in waterproof compartment

hsdfkjhey

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently deployed a few of the Hikvision DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS's to find some had died a week or so after deployment. After a brief look at the cameras, I found their waterproof compartments were completely full of water. Upon further examination it appears there is a gap around the rubber grommet in the center of the waterproof compartment, which was the likely source of water ingress.

Has anyone else come across this problem with this style camera?

IMG_1899.pngIMG_1921.png

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would like to see some more pictures of how that camera was installed, but my guess is that it was installed wrong.

I've had a DS-2CD2683G0-IZS die on me not so long ago, and it was because it had been installed upside down, and water had gone were it should have not, if it had been installed the right way.

hsdfkjhey

n3wb
Reaction score
This was installed "upside down", but I don't see why that gap would be there. Water could still wick into this opening.

FWIW, I've installed DS-2CD2683G0-IZS with junction box mounted vertically and horizontally (on top of post) and have not had issues. That being said, the junction box on that unit is setup differently than this one.

Nelle

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently deployed a few of the Hikvision DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS's to find some had died a week or so after deployment. After a brief look at the cameras, I found their waterproof compartments were completely full of water. Upon further examination it appears there is a gap around the rubber grommet in the center of the waterproof compartment, which was the likely source of water ingress.

Has anyone else come across this problem with this style camera?

View attachment 58592View attachment 58593
I have had this problem repeatedly with these cameras. They were installed correctly so I was puzzed until I realised that tiny nicks in the cable were allowing water to travel inside the cable to the camera.
Everything worked fine until I moved the cams to a new position which then allowed the water inside the cable to get into the RJ45
My question is;
Hik vision won't replace them as they say it was an installation fault, so is there some way to replace the fixed RJ45 female inside the base of the camera. I've opened it up and removed the housing and have found a wiring diagram to directly connect to an RJ45 male but that would bypass the circuit board, so I'm at a loss to know what to do
Anyone out there got a solution please?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've opened it up and removed the housing and have found a wiring diagram to directly connect to an RJ45 male but that would bypass the circuit board, so I'm at a loss to know what to do
If you do, in fact, know the pin out (which color goes to which pin), cut off the corroded female and punch the wires down to a RJ-45 female keystone jack, as below. I've included a blank female image so you can write in the color that goes to each pin. The pin numbers are printed on the side of the jack, as in the "6,3,7 and 8" on the left side. Disregard the wire color markings for T-568A and T-568B spec wiring and instead attach (punch down) YOUR camera's wire color to the appropriate pin.

RJ45-keystone.jpg Camera_RJ45_FEMALE_pinout.jpg

After completed and tested and when in place and tested, I suggest the following water-proofing methods to help prevent such an episode in the future:

Last edited:

Nelle

n3wb
Reaction score
If you do, in fact, know the pin out (which color goes to which pin), cut off the corroded female and punch the wires down to a RJ-45 female keystone jack, as below. I've included a blank female image so you can write in the color that goes to each pin. The pin numbers are printed on the side of the jack, as in the "6,3,7 and 8" on the left side. Disregard the wire color markings for T-568A and T-568B spec wiring and instead attach (punch down) YOUR camera's wire color to the appropriate pin.

View attachment 179648 View attachment 179649

After completed and tested and when in place and tested, I suggest the following water-proofing methods to help prevent such an episode in the future:

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately this Hik vision camera has the connection inside the backplate and it's a fixed female RJ45 solder connected to a PBC. On closer inspection there is no corrosion inside the RJ45.
The water only got into it once I had moved the camera and undone the back to remove the cable. I think that maybe what happened was the water which had got inside the sheathing of the cabling (due to rodents nibbling it) was not causing a problem as the cable went UP into the camera. It only became a problem when I dismantled the camera from its fixing and turned it over to undo the back plate to remove the cable. The water then travelled down the sheathing into the electronics and caused the problem as the camera was still connected at this point.

I am guessing that it has blown the PCB as the camera is completely dead now and it was working fine before I moved it.
I need to get a replacement PCB, but have no idea where to get one from.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people got a camera working again using Deox. Just because you don't see corrosion doesn't mean some isn't there. Cheap enough to give it a try.

Nelle

n3wb
Reaction score
Many people got a camera working again using Deox. Just because you don't see corrosion doesn't mean some isn't there. Cheap enough to give it a try.

Thank you. I've just ordered some Deox which I'll try. Fingers crossed.