Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently shelled out about £350 quid for a Hik NVR and one Hik DS-2CD2T42WD-15.

After viewing some vids on YouTube before I bought, I was impressed with clarity and performance. However, If I set things up for what I consider to be the best options, then the best isn't good enough, nothing like youtube vids, I cannot read the street sign across the road and peoples faces are blurred unless someone walked right up to my camera. Number plates are visible to approx 40 feet
I also have this kind of flurry of snowy dark particles flickering/shimmering in the white clouds and elsewhere, but mostly seen in lighter areas....
Can anyone advise please? I also forgot to ask how is firmware updated?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes a baseline of the common settings will help otherwise its a shot in the dark with suggestions

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I did a factory reset and left it at that, then as the light faded last night it went far worse.

Where I live is in a small town centre and its lit very well, so when darkness falls, all the lights keep the camera in colour. The flaky dancing pixels were in their millions.

Today in natural daylight its yet again showing badly disfigured faces, unreadable street sign and unreadable number plates at approx. 60 feet.

I can return it, but would rather find out if its curable.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dude, settings and screenshots are needed at this point. Otherwise return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have made arrangements to return it, but before I did, I had to have another go at it as I felt I'd give in too easy...This is what I found...
I run two monitors side by side with "Extended Displays", on the left is a 30 inch Apple Cinema, on the right is an Asus 4K 28 inch.
When I set up the NVR I disconnected the Asus 4k from being extended and used it to be dedicated to my NVR, between the two there was
a short Hdmi cable. This is where my image was abysmal and it puzzled me as my 4K Asus was a good bit of kit. So in the meantime, my friend
popped into my computer using "Teamviewer", and he set it up so he could view it from his home about 8 miles away from a browser.
We spoke over the phone at the same time and he told me he was getting a very good image, it baffled me as he could read the street sign
over the road from me, but I couldn't. So I run a browser and typed in the address, at first nothing came through, but he took over did a lot of messing
about and eventually got it viewing from a browser for me using my Apple on the left. I was amazed at the difference in quality and clarity but I was
still baffled why it was so bad on my Asus when in effect it was dedicated direct to the NVR and not going through a browser.
As for me sending settings, I am not sure how to go about that yet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was amazed at the difference in quality and clarity but I was
still baffled why it was so bad on my Asus when in effect it was dedicated direct to the NVR and not going through a browser.
Perhaps worth checking is the VGA/HDMI output resolution.
Can be seen / selected in the web GUI under System | System Settings.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps worth checking is the VGA/HDMI output resolution.
Can be seen / selected in the web GUI under System | System Settings.
Or make sure the monitor adapts to the output resolution. Usually all that stuff is done automatically but it might not have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will look into this and thanks everybody, it looks like there is some hope without returning it, I doubt it would have been cheap by Special delivery.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it looks like there is some hope without returning it
As a simple check - swap the monitors over and see if you get the same results.
There has to be some simple explanation for the symptoms you are seeing.
It sounds like you are using a PC.
What does the image look like on Live View when accessing the NVR web GUI with IE11 as the browser?

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[Yes I'm on PC] I cannot swap over monitors, the Apple is one of those DVI connectors where the Asus 4k is a Display Port. However I have an Acer with HDMI which I use for my 25 year old modded Commodore Amiga, some of you may not remember them, I got mine when I was 40yo...Anyway I'm rambling....So I tried the Acer in place of the Asus, but it was still the same with rubbish image. Like I said, accessing the camera image using a browser is much better and acceptable, its direct from the NVR that is rubbish.

Post 8....The friend is coming to have a look at it today....

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I have sussed it, but I won't know till Tuesdays post.

This is what happened, as you know you do not get an HDMI cable in the box with the NVR, only a 1 metre Cat5e just about capable of 1000 mega bits speed....So I had to scrat about in all my storage of cables and I found a older HDMI cable, job sorted, So I thought! What I missed was the HDMI should have been a version 2.0 capable of 2160p Hi Speed.... but like I say, its not certain. :) I'll let you know soon.

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Aw well, the high speed cable HDMI 2160p 4k 3d did nothing, so the camera has been returned. Now I hunt for another.