Hikvision DS-2DF8223I-AEL Pixelation issue

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a PTZ Darkfighter DS-2DF8223I-AEL, first time using this type of camera and I'm getting pixelation on and around moving objects.

For example, a car enters the car park day or night and everything around the car becomes pixelated until the car stops. Even if the car is slowly moving into a parking space its near impossible to identify the driver through the windscreen until the car stops.

This is the 2MP auto tracking model. Its set to 25fps, 1080p, bitrate is a 6144. I have tried lowering it to 4096 but made no difference. Also tried with Constant and Variable bitrate

Any suggestions ? I know these type of cameras are rare enough but I'm hopeful this is a config problem rather than a hardware one.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What device are you recording to?
Try matching the iframe interval to your frame rate.

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What device are you recording to?
Try matching the iframe interval to your frame rate.
Frame rate and Iframe interval are currently set to 25

Its recording to a DS-7716NI-I4 16/P which currently has 7 cameras configured, all 3mp hik turrets at 4096 bitrate via a 48port PoE switch but the PTZ runs with its own PoE injector supply

Pixelation is evident when viewing from NVR or camera direct feed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Frame rate and Iframe interval are currently set to 25

Its recording to a DS-7716NI-I4 16/P which currently has 7 cameras configured, all 3mp hik turrets at 4096 bitrate via a 48port PoE switch but the PTZ runs with its own PoE injector supply

Pixelation is evident when viewing from NVR or camera direct feed.
Drop the frame rate and iframe interval to 15 and see if it helps...it might be packet loss...what type of cable did you use? solid copper? cca?

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Drop the frame rate and iframe interval to 15 and see if it helps...it might be packet loss...what type of cable did you use? solid copper? cca?
I'll try drop the frame rate later today to 15 and see what happens. Wondering if 15fps might be too low for a busy car park. Lets see what happens

The whole site is CAT6 24 gauge shielded, with shielded connectors and patch panels. Switch is showing no packet loss (our switches have a feature for detecting & testing for it)

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Drop the frame rate and iframe interval to 15 and see if it helps
Changed it to 15 for both a few hours ago and am just checking the playback now and its still the same.

I really can't figure this one out. When the camera isn't moving the picture is crystal clear day and night. The minute it starts tracking a car or person it gets all blocky

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't confirm off the top of my head, but does the camera have a Main Stream (Event) selection in its Video configuration options? It might be that it's dropping the bitrate to a lower setting than the standard Main Stream as per the Event stream setting whenever it starts tracking.

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't confirm off the top of my head, but does the camera have a Main Stream (Event) selection in its Video configuration options? It might be that it's dropping the bitrate to a lower setting than the standard Main Stream as per the Event stream setting whenever it starts tracking.
Yeah it does, its frame and bitrate match the main stream. Surely 6144 is enough for a 2mp ptz ??

What I can't understand is why its only when the camera is moving. I mean even a tiny movement causes it to pixelate.

For example today a van drove into the loading area, camera tracked it across the yard and when the van stopped the camera was just moving a few mil while it stabilized and the pixelation meant you couldn't read the writing on the side of the van.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen that before, can't help you with why/what, Generally I'd suggest trying another firmware