Hikvision DS-7104N-SN/P Hard drive & setup advice please

blackcat81

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I am really new to all this, so please understand.... I have just purchased a Hikvision DS-7104N-SN/P from aliexpress, and also a DS-2CD2032-i camera. Please can you give me or point me to a list of factory recommended 4TB Hard drives for this model? I cant find info anywhere, I have asked HIkvision/supplier but I am not getting much luck, I can find a list for other models, but not this one.

There must be a makes and types recommended, I want it to perform at its best so I don't want to just put any old drive in, please can you advise.

Also will this POE directly to the camera from the port on the rear without a POE injector?

Is there a fools guide to setting these up from scratch, for new people like me?

Thank you all in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Google comes up with this:
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/support_more.asp?id=314

The major disc manufacturers have HDD models targeted at specific types of applications / environments. Certain reputations have been burnt by high failure rates when 'desktop' (green) drives were used in 24/7 applications such as surveillance, NAS devices, set-top boxes etc. when using 'Enterprise' level drives was so much more expensive.
So WDC have their Red NAS and Purple Surveillance ranges, Seagate also have NAS and Surveillance ranges. Based on various studies, Seagate have the biggest reputation to reclaim.
In my own case - I'm using WDC Purple drives in the Hikvision NVR, and WDC Red drives in the NAS devices.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seagate have the biggest reputation to reclaim.
Seagate are awful, worst reputation in the world to me. I have had more Seagate hard drives fail than I could have ever imagined, these were in PC's mainly, 4 to date and 1 in a Samsung DVR just out of warranty. they are awful.
NEVER have I had a WD drive fail. I have had more WD drives than any other. WD are the only drives I would ever use these days.

blackcat81

n3wb
Reaction score
Link below on a interesting article on hard drive reliability based on 41,213 hard disk drives operating in Backblaze data centers.

What is the Best Hard Drive?

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

Ok I have gone for the WD (I'm in the UK) Can't find any english instructions on the Hickvision nvr model I have, so I'll open it and plug the drive in, a real novice with CCTV...

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll open it and plug the drive in, a real novice with CCTV...
After you have put the HDD in, then go to the HDD management menu and Format it...

:cool:

Binoyram

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS 7104N NVR and DS 2CD 2032-I cameras installation

Hi,
ive just purchased a set of Hikvision surveillance system consisting of DS 2CD 2032 cameras and an NVR DS 7104 from Ali Express. Can someone help me in having same inatalked and configured.

Musad

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS 7104N NVR and DS 2CD 2032-I cameras installation

I have these two docs.
I have a third but it is too big to attach.
Do a google search on "UD.6L0202D1289A01_Baseline_User Manual of Network Video Recorder_71&76 Series_V2.3.x_20131120.pdf".

Hi,
ive just purchased a set of Hikvision surveillance system consisting of DS 2CD 2032 cameras and an NVR DS 7104 from Ali Express. Can someone help me in having same inatalked and configured.

Attachments