Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P DVR, Problems adding an ONVIF compatible camera

Xfsec

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

First post here looking for some help with my DVR giving me quite a lot of headaches adding an Imporx brand PTZ camera (Don't have the exact model right now) that I got gifted.

I tried setting it up in the DVR with all the parameters I know but all of them ended with "unknown error or wrong parameters" and the only way I got it to work somewhat was adding a custom protocol and adding the exact RTSP path the camera gave me, only this way I could get video but with very restricted functionality or well I should say only video an nothing else. any sort of configuration or PTZ controls do not work at all this way, either getting "The camera does not support the function" or "Operation failed or no permission" messages whenever I try.

I tested this camera with Onvif device manager and onvifer for android and both of them detected the camera with little configuration and were able to handle it, so I would like to isolate this problem to the DVR itself. I been reading some posts with similar problems and most of them seem to indicate a firmware update could solve it, but if I understand correctly there is risk of bricking the DVR or getting a Chinese only menu

So before I do anything potentially risky I would kindly like to ask you guys for help and opinions on the matter

Thank you very much!

DVR.PNG(Info for reference)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tested this camera with Onvif device manager
Many cameras have an 'ONVIF port' that is different from the HTTP port.
What did ONVIF Device Manager show as the ONVIF port, in the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page?
And if it was not 80, did you use that port in the ONVIF camera configuration in the NVR?

genelmx

n3wb
Reaction score
I was in the exact same boat as you a few days ago but I found a solution. If you bought the same dvr as me it would be on firmware version 3.07. For some reason this doesn't play well with the cheap Onvif cameras. I updated to 3.10 using the instructions here. I am still waiting for someone to upload 3.13 again so I can update to that. But 3.10 works. Remember to use Onvif device manager to change your camera's default IP address to 192.168.254.2~9 and the gateway to 192.168.254.1. Then edit the camera, use the Onvif protocol and use port 8899. It should work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Then edit the camera, use the Onvif protocol and use port 8899.
That can vary amongst camera firmware designs.
For example, I have an IPCC B10 that uses 1018, a Vanxse that uses 555, Foscam often use 888 etc.
But, usefully, ONVIF Device Manager shows you the port in use so it can be properly set in the NVR configuration.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

genelmx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I've tried the N version but the ui is in Chinese and no way to change the language. The webui is multilingual though.

I haven't tried flashing an 'NI' version yet. Are there any risks? Would the N region DVR just reject it? If it does, do I just use hiktools to change the language? Would my cameras have a language mismatch error?

My apologies for hijacking the thread with lots of questions. I'm happy to try flashing the NI version and experiment if I know I can always revert.

*Update
I found a way to get the latest firmware in English. It seems updating using the TFTP method restores the default settings which changes the language back to chinese and no way to turn it back. Starting with a version that has English language by default (3.010), I put the newer firmware (3.018) on a usb stick and updated through the UI. It rebooted and the language remained English. Remember not to restore the default settings ever, otherwise it will revert to chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there. And for sharing.
Now make a backup of the device configuration and IPC configuration - though there is no guarantee the configuration restore will work as it should - it's an area that's quite variable.