Hikvision DS-7108N-SN/P POE setup

abusch13

n3wb
Reaction score
pbc, There is a POE tester that measures voltage drop etc, I don't have one. You're probably right on the crimps, I don't have access to the cable end on the pole without a good deal of work. I will replace the one at the NVR tonight and do the other end when I'm able. Thanks for the input and I'll post my results asap

abusch13

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I got up on the ladder today and checked the connection, ended up causing a lot of unnecessary work for myself. Turns out I had put a coupler in a telephone box on the side of the house with a service loop. Well I replaced the connectors and it is good to go now. Moral of the story, check and recheck all connections, even the ones you forgot were there. Thanks to all for the help and input! -Andy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I got up on the ladder today and checked the connection, ended up causing a lot of unnecessary work for myself. Turns out I had put a coupler in a telephone box on the side of the house with a service loop. Well I replaced the connectors and it is good to go now. Moral of the story, check and recheck all connections, even the ones you forgot were there. Thanks to all for the help and input! -Andy
This brings up another point in that couplers themselves attenuate signal, generally not an issue though except on runs close to the max. They can go bad due to moisture and oxidation as well.

abusch13

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed, forgot I had used it. It is filled with dielectric grease and inside an AT&T box on the house but will be the first place I go if there are future problems.