hikvision ds-7608ni-e2/8p - Username and password error after restoring to factory defaults

Reaction score
Hi,

I have hikvision ds-7608ni-e2/8p which worked perfectly until I wanted to swith two cameras within the ports.
Switched cameras stopped working. After that I restored the whole NVR to factory defaults as all other tries were unseccesful. Now none of the cameras are working and I get an error that ip camera is not connected, username and password problem.

I don't know any passwords of ip cameras,as I used plug and Play initially. What should I do?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
After that I restored the whole NVR to factory defaults as all other tries were unseccesful.
That's a pity as the NVR knew the camera passwords and the camera configuration file when exported has them available in plain text.
Do you have a saved NVR configuration file that you could restore that would then retrieve the camera passwords?

Depending on the NVR firmware, and the details of the original configuration, it may be that the Plug&Play option to use the NVR password on the cameras was enabled.

Also - depending on the firmware version of the cameras, there is a pretty good password reset tool here that makes use of the 'Hikvision backdoor' : Hikvision camera admin password reset tool
If the cameras are connected to the NVR PoE ports, you'll need to either power them separately and plug them in to the LAN, or connect the PC to a spare NVR PoE port and either way change the PC IP address to match the range the PoE ports and cameras are in (probably 192.168.254.100 will be OK).

Reaction score
Thanks for clear and detailed explanation. Unfortunately I didn’t export configuration file. Before using tools is there any legitimate way of doing that? I mean for example can HIKVISION support help me? I think they should know the password as I received it already pre-set. Also it has US warranty

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they should know the password as I received it already pre-set.
Hikvision cameras have not come with any default passwords for quite a while, they require 'activation' with a user-created strong password.
The old default passwords were 12345, 123456789abc
Before using tools is there any legitimate way of doing that?
What's not legitimate about using the tool?
Also it has US warranty
maybe that's your route then.