Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 w/firmware v3.4 not sending email alerts

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

So I purchased a DS-7608NI-E2 christmas week and out of the box it wouldn't pop the password box asking me to set my password and the default passwords didn't work, email to Hikvision and got this part sorted.

After setting up motion detection on all 6 cameras I went out to test and it only worked on 1 camera, I recieved a single email alert with 3 images, after that not a single other email alert from the original camera or any other.

So I reset the box back to factory settings, got my pop-up this time for setting the initial admin password and set about doing the motion detection again.

Same thing again, one email from a different camera this time BUT no attached images this time.

So heres what I checked:

• Tried with a Google apps pro account - first email worked from here
  • Tried with Gmail - first email again worked here but no image
  • My own private mail server - same again (after another default reset)
  • So checked for network problems, everything working fine, no packet loss or firewall blocking anything.
  • Plugged back in my old SE model NVR - Email alerts work fine every time, this rules out network, camera and email account issues

All the above leads me to believe this being a v3.4 firmware bug

Has anyone else encountered this problem or no email alerts problem in general with this particular model ? I'm pulling out whats left of my hair trying to get this sorted as this problem aside I like this new NVR alot, slicker interface, faster to save etc.

Thanks !

shai

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

So I purchased a DS-7608NI-E2 christmas week and out of the box it wouldn't pop the password box asking me to set my password and the default passwords didn't work, email to Hikvision and got this part sorted.

After setting up motion detection on all 6 cameras I went out to test and it only worked on 1 camera, I recieved a single email alert with 3 images, after that not a single other email alert from the original camera or any other.

So I reset the box back to factory settings, got my pop-up this time for setting the initial admin password and set about doing the motion detection again.

Same thing again, one email from a different camera this time BUT no attached images this time.

So heres what I checked:

• So checked for network problems, everything working fine, no packet loss or firewall blocking anything.
  • Plugged back in my old SE model NVR - Email alerts work fine every time, this rules out network, camera and email account issues

Has anyone else encountered this problem or no email alerts problem in general with this particular model ? I'm pulling out whats left of my hair trying to get this sorted as this problem aside I like this new NVR alot, slicker interface, faster to save etc.

Thanks !
i am having the same problem.

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep thats the same model and build as mine.

Going to try email Hikvision support on Monday and see what they say. Apparently they offer support if you bought your hardware from an authorised partner so lets see what they say.

shai

n3wb
Reaction score

Going to try email Hikvision support on Monday and see what they say. Apparently they offer support if you bought your hardware from an authorised partner so lets see what they say.
I bought it from a china seller not sure if they are registered. funny thing like you said is that if i reset the box to factory defaults, it will send one email only from one of my 3 cameras and that's it, no more emails again unless i reset to defaults and reconfigure again.

Arry

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem.

I have a DS-7608N-E2/8P

Works if I go into the system config area and perform a test however from remote config / event / email if I perform a test it fails?

shai

n3wb
Reaction score

Hey little bandit, have you heard from Hikvision yet?

HiKlip

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

So heres what I checked:

Thanks !
Yes!!! Great! This is looking good. I can confirm that I have the same problem with the same recorder and same firmware. DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A Firmware-v3.4.0 build 150929 -not-sending-email-alerts.
Maybe we should also confirm that the error is the same, not just the result. When I try the email TEST button it tells me "Failed to send Test email, check network parameters". Well, if the firmware is the cause, at least this is something HikVision can fix if we can communicate to them our extreem disatisfaction.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me. v3.3.2 didn't work. v3.3.4 worked.

Try downgrading to 3.3.4 to see if the problem is really firmware. Just because you've swapped boxes doesn't mean it's not your network. Do your boxes have the same IP address for example? Try that too... although you shouldn't need any special settings to send e-mails.

shai

n3wb
Reaction score

Try downgrading to 3.3.4 to see if the problem is really firmware. Just because you've swapped boxes doesn't mean it's not your network. Do your boxes have the same IP address for example? Try that too... although you shouldn't need any special settings to send e-mails.
is there a special procedure to downgrade or just flash the v3.3.4 firmware in the box?

HiKlip

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what firmware it had. I ordered the NVR from ebay and it wasn't working with the cameras I purchased, so I directly assumed it was a firmware issue when I noticed there was a newer version out, and it did fix that problem. The 3.4 HMI is completely different and much better. Maybe in the end I'll have to try downgrading if there is no other option, but will be a last resort measure.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem with Hikvision firmware is you aren't really downgrading. I went from v3.0.8 straight to v3.3.4 because I knew v3.3.2 was buggy.

BTW v3.4.1 is out, so you could try that but newer doesn't always mean better. I would take (and I currently do) v3.3.4 working over v3.4.0 not working just because one has a later number. This stuff isn't like Microsoft or AMD, the firmwares are flakey as, it's pot luck whether something is fixed and another thing broken.

shai

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, use TFTP but only if you have and NI NVR.
Thanks Del Boy. i managed to bring the box back to V3.3.4 using the Hikvision TFTP and email is back working perfectly now.

Getting hold of that TFTP though, was a bit of an adventure as it seems hikvision has removed it from their website. I downloaded it from a signature of one of the Ipcamtalk'er (labelled as 5.3 downgrader) < for anybody asking the same question i had before.

shai

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem with Hikvision firmware is you aren't really downgrading. I went from v3.0.8 straight to v3.3.4 because I knew v3.3.2 was buggy.

BTW v3.4.1 is out, so you could try that but newer doesn't always mean better. I would take (and I currently do) v3.3.4 working over v3.4.0 not working just because one has a later number. This stuff isn't like Microsoft or AMD, the firmwares are flakey as, it's pot luck whether something is fixed and another thing broken.
anything about email mentioned in the changelog?

littlebandit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anything about email mentioned in the changelog?
No nothing about email in the changelog, and whats worse about v3.4.1 build 151225 is the "Abnormal shutdown" bug is still not fixed. My unit is still shutting down 4-7 times a day. So thats 2 major bugs in v3.4.x that remain unresolved

No response from Hikvision....

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No nothing about email in the changelog, and whats worse about v3.4.1 build 151225 is the "Abnormal shutdown" bug is still not fixed. My unit is still shutting down 4-7 times a day. So thats 2 major bugs in v3.4.x that remain unresolved

No response from Hikvision....
4 to 7 times a day. Sorry but that sounds massively wrong. If you unplug all of your cameras and HDD does it still shutdown? If so, send it back. That's not a firmware bug as no-one else is having issues like that.

And no response from Hikvision. This is perfectly normal. Hikvision support is rubbish.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Del Boy. i managed to bring the box back to V3.3.4 using the Hikvision TFTP and email is back working perfectly now.

Getting hold of that TFTP though, was a bit of an adventure as it seems hikvision has removed it from their website. I downloaded it from a signature of one of the Ipcamtalk'er (labelled as 5.3 downgrader) < for anybody asking the same question i had before.
Ah yes, I did the same as I knew that version worked!

Ok, let's add that to our bugs list. This is one of the reasons I stayed on 3.0.8 and only went to v3.3.4 when we knew it was ok. Too many people jump to the latest firmware without checking. It's not like the changelog is going to say - 1.a. e-mails now broken!

Glad to know it's fixed :)

HiKlip

n3wb
Reaction score
How is this TFTP change done? Any place I can get some info on a procedure? I'm thinking it's worth a try.
I too have experience abnormal shutdowns, but (in my case) have isolated it to my LAN connection. If I remove my RJ45 jack, I no longer have any shutdowns. Some how this email issue and the abnormal shutdown seem strangly related.
I figure, if I can't send emails, why do I want it connected to my router?.........