Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 w/firmware v3.4 not sending email alerts

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the first post of this thread is a link that contains the Hikvision-specific tftp server, and instructions on how to use:https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English
You sir, have the patience of a saint... at all times.

P.S. Quick tip, if you can't be bothered to read the first post on the thread you are about to post a question on, then you probably shouldn't mess around with your cameras, NVR or TFTP.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You sir, have the patience of a saint... at all times.
Lol! Not quite so much when I've had a glass or two of vini rosso on a Saturday night.
It does change your perspective on life. Temporarily.
We've all been at that start point when the topic is mysterious and confusing.

HiKlip

n3wb
Reaction score
P.S. Quick tip, if you can't be bothered to read the first post on the thread you are about to post a question on, then you probably shouldn't mess around with your cameras, NVR or TFTP.
Maybe it didn't occur to you that I did not arrive at this thread through the mentioned TFTP thread, or that the initial post of this thread is not concerning TFTP. I am interested in this thread because it concerns my model of NVR, and has an email issue the same as I have.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe it didn't occur to you that I did not arrive at this thread through the mentioned TFTP thread, or that the initial post of this thread is not concerning TFTP. I am interested in this thread because it concerns my model of NVR, and has an email issue the same as I have.
It definitely occurred to me that you didn't read the thread or use the search function but I'm glad my help and advice (yes that in this thread) has helped you.

TFTP is a sharp tool and like a sharp tool if used wrong you can damage something. This is why I gave the quick tip to actually read up on this stuff but hey ho, I can only lead a horse to water. Up to you what you want to do with your stuff.

linix86

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Del Boy. i managed to bring the box back to V3.3.4 using the Hikvision TFTP and email is back working perfectly now.

Getting hold of that TFTP though, was a bit of an adventure as it seems hikvision has removed it from their website. I downloaded it from a signature of one of the Ipcamtalk'er (labelled as 5.3 downgrader) < for anybody asking the same question i had before.
Hello, I have the same problem of email. My nvr 7616ni 8p e2 purchased from aliexpre had European firmware 3.0.10 multi language. I upgraded to 3.4.0 Chinese but now do not work emails. Doing the downgrade with TFTP, I have to use European 3.3.4 or ​Chinese 3.3.4 ?

linix86

n3wb
Reaction score
Chinese v3.3.4. You need to downgrade all the way to 3.0.10 first.
sorry but I did not understand, I go from 3.4.0 to 3.0.10 and then I am going from 3.0.10 to 3.3.4?

I can use 3.0.10 European because it is what was the first?
I can not find Chinese 3.3.4 firmware and possibly Chinese 3.0.10 firmware if the firmware 3.0.10 European not good

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have NI version? You can TFTP v3.3.4 straight on. I thought you had Chinese because you updated with Chinese firmware.

hasty

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have tried everything i could possibly do to get this this email notification working, however I still have no luck. I believe the problem is with the firmware like everyone else here is facing. I have a HIKVISION DS-7716NI-E4/16P Firmware: V3.4.0 (build 151103). Just wondering if I can downgrade my firmware to the same V3.3.4 for 7608NI-E2? Do 7608NI and 7716NI share the same firmware?

Below is my Email settings:
Enable Server Authentication: Yes
Username: myname@gmail.com
Password: mypassword123
Sender: John
Senders Address: myname@gmail.com
Select Receivers: Receiver 1
Receiver: John
Receiver Adress: myname2@gmail.com
Enable Attached Picture: Yes
Interval: 5s
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465
Enable SSL: yes
Preferred DNS: 192.231.203.132
Alternate DNS: 192.231.203.3

I have tried changing to google dns of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and also allowed less secure apps in my gmail settings, still email is not working. :( Please help.

linix86

n3wb
Reaction score
I ask for help.
I have a nvr 7616n-8p e2 with 3.4.0 in Chinese only and does not work with my cam.
How can I make it multilingual and compatible with my hik cam?
I can not downgrade because I do not find the correct firmware

Last edited by a moderator:

linix86

n3wb
Reaction score
no one can hand me 3.0.10 or 3.3.4 Chinese? I do not know what to do, 7616n-e2 does not accept the European firmware trough TFTP

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know what to do, 7616n-e2 does not accept the European firmware trough TFTP
Have you tried changing the language of the EU firmware with the 'lang' option of the Hiktools program from here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2733-Hikvision-FIRMWARE-TOOLS-change-language-extract-files-and-create-own-firmware

And presumably you have see the multiple versions here:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/

linix86

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the language of the EU firmware with the 'lang' option of the Hiktools program from here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2733-Hikvision-FIRMWARE-TOOLS-change-language-extract-files-and-create-own-firmware

And presumably you have see the multiple versions here:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/
I modified language the European version 3.3.4 with hiktools but to restart emits continuous beep

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What?

Stupid Hikvision firmware. v3.3.2 this isn't supposed to work. I guess this shows how buggy the firmware is.
Del Boy/ Alastair or anyone hoping you have some ideas for me, I also cannot get the NVR sending emails I have a DS-7608NI-E2/8p on 3.3.4.

Today is the first day I'm trying to integrate the cameras onto the NVR having previously been standalone with SD for 9 months, I've had motion, line crossing, intruder all working quite well.

I have got the individual camera emails working couple of parameter tweaks here and there, Alastair I added the NVR subnet to the router routelist as it ended up being easy and a saveall gives me confidence it will preserve over a restart.

To work the cameras required the local IP Address of 192.168.254."6", and a Default gateway of the NVR Internal NIC 192.168.254.1 but then DNS Server address of the router default gateway e.g. 192.168.1.254 for email directly from the cameras to work.

As you both probably know the emails from the cameras embed higher resolution pictures than the NVR hence my desire to enable that functionality.

I'll write that up in simple terms when I get a chance as I think the info out there is still a little confusing on the topics of getting cameras to send emails with attachments as opposed to the NVR from what I saw.

Maybe I wont use the NVR email anyway but I cant work out why it wont work. Its been about 5 hours this arvo getting all working to this point and testing, benching the NVR onto my network with one 4mp camera I'm going to swap out a 3mp for.

The email settings are all the same as the camera that works.

The NVR network settings are
ipv4 address 192.168.1.50 (same as the router network, and plugged into the router )
ipv4 default gateway 192.168.1.254 (default gateway address of the router the NVR is plugged into)
preferred dns server 192.168.1.254.

tried changing DNS Server to 8.8.8.8, but the router address 192.168.1.254 works for the camera anyway , back on the 192.168.254.x network.

Motion, Intrusion, Line crossing are all set to on in the NVR , with high sensitivity and send email checked on the NVR for all.

Grrrr this Hikvision stuff would be great if it worked, but there's always some bugs for issues like you don't get email attachments for intrusion, line crossing in some variant I've already forgotten!! $%^&&^$@@ grrrrrrr.

Any thoughts guys can you see anything I'm doing wrong??

Some other random questions.

1. I use ivms for playback on my smartphone, does any of that change with the NVR now in the picture or do I just port forward all the cameras to the new network 192.168.254.x:6500x with virtual host for ivms to log into the individual cameras?
2. Is there any other remote useful function for remote browser access specifically to the NVR other than playback of events ??? Or do most still use iVMS from the smartphones, indexed from the line/motion/ intruder emails when looking on NVR remotely (as NVR remotely doesn't show events)?
3. Painful that issue where the NVR doesn't tag events from the browser view but only when you look via the HDMI which means I have to be onsite local but this site is 150km away - this is my holiday place?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You'd think if you use the same email configuration settings from the cameras, that work OK, they should also work on the NVR.
But it seems that the current versions of firmware on the NVR give variable and unpredictable results for email alerts. Quite a few posts on the topic.
I don't use email alerts for motion events - it's not something I've explored much at all, so no real other suggestions to try, sorry.