Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P freezing live view

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had this NVR since 2018 and originally ran 2 1tb hard WD purple drives in it. I would occasionally freeze in the live view randomly in each of the 4 windows, but independently of each other. The work around I found for this was to re initialize one of the hard drives, and then it would be fine until that hard drive had zero free data space left. I have the drives set to overwrite when full. I recently replaced the 2 1tb drives with a 4tb WD purple drive and the freezing has started again after a few months. If I initialize the drive now I will lose all previous footage. When I re-boot it runs fine but sometimes only for a few hours. It has original firmware, (3.495. Build 170626), but I am apprehensive to upgrade as I purchased from ebay from an Australian seller who is non responsive, so I think it was a Aus version but I have no idea how to be sure. What are my options here. Should I risk a firmware upgrade? I am prepared to purchase a new NVR as this one is 5 years old and it may be better to get one I know will be supported in Australia. Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited:

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a quick update, I re-booted the nvr and withing a few minutes, the freezing started again and it is showing 2tb free in the HD menu.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I would occasionally freeze in the live view randomly in each of the 4 windows, but independently of each other.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
Just one windows freezes and the rest continue normally?

When I re-boot it runs fine but sometimes only for a few hours.
Does this occur on the VGA/HDMI interface, or the web GUI interface, or both?
How are you rebooting the NVR? Power cycle or via the maintenance menus?

Any clues in the NVR system maintenance logs?

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am rebooting via the shut-down menu on the nvr. The freezing happens on 1 or more windows of a 4 screen matrix on a pc monitor connected to the nvr. After a period the frozen screen will update, and then another one will freeze. Remote view on hikconnect seems to be OK as does playback. When this is happening I cannot View live view on my hikvision indoor station.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After some more experimenting, I find that for some reason it works better in 5+1 mode than 2x2 mode. The largest screen seems to be around 30 seconds behind the smaller one, and if i view the live view on my phone over wifi, the picture is around 10 seconds ahead of the small screens on the VGA monitor. HDMI seems to make no difference. Changed screen res to 1024x 768 did not help. Very slow to come back on line on 2x2, 5+1 slightly faster.
I can't see any parameters that might improve it at all. The logs only refer to start and stop of capture and motion detect.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I changed the live view to sub stream and it no longer freezes and the detail seems to be acceptable. When I get the courage, I will still have a crack at upgrading the firmware.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is still not right and i can only do live view on my indoor station if I reboot the NVR, then I get error 10703. I am going to do a factory reset and upgrade the firmware. Hopefully not end up bricking the NVR

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very strange. I did a factory default reset hoping to upgrade the firmware, but was hesitant due to having to input passwords before the upgrade. After re-instating my details, the NVR is now running perfectly and is rock steady and works well.