Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR with cameras connected via Ubiquity wireless bridge

Jer-Bear

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

A farmer asked me to put cameras up on his farm. It has multiple buildings. I want to get a low maintenance NVR like the DS-7608NI-K2/8P. Ideally, I would keep the NVR in his house, while connecting 4 cameras on his barn via Ubiquity wireless link.

Can this be done?

I plan on running 4 cameras to a POE switch in the barn, that would connect back to the house via Ubiquity wireless link. Would I connect the wireless link to the router in the house (That the NVR is connected to) or the back of the NVR in one of the ports? Will this NVR be able to find the cameras without being connected to its poe ports?

Barn Cameras
2 - Hikvision DS-2CD2T47G1-L
2- Hikvision DS-2CD2155FWD-IS

House cam
1 - Hikvision DarkFighter DS-2CD2085G1-I 8MP

Any help is appreciated!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The wireless link should go to the same network device as the NVR LAN interface.
This could be the router - though some routers don't cope well with high levels of video traffic, this can impact their routing performance.
If that turns out to be a problem, adding a small switch to connect the NVR, wireless link, router, PC, TV and any other devices to would be a solution. That way, it's only internet traffic that traverses the router.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will actually connect the bridges from a single point (router side), to multiple points (cameras). Consider how “separated” (angle) the cameras will be located with respect to the source antenna (router side). The Nano Station M5 Series, for example, provides a 60 degree angle (beamwidth) on a radius with 35m of coverage. You may extend that radius by connecting two M5 (side by side, using the extra ethernet port of the M5), to extend that coverage up to 120 degrees. You may also check other UBNT antennas for more coverage (omnidirectional), if needed

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Jer-Bear ,

I'm a big fan of Ubiquiti and in the PtMP mode to several buildings or PtP mode to one building, they will work great for you. I have used their Nanonstations to build several Layer 2 Transparent Bridges connecting home LANs to shops and barns in the last 6 or 7 years.

Just be advised of an error in the Amazon product description you provided as follows:

The description states "....The NanoStation AC provides a secondary Ethernet port with software-enabled PoE. Use this port to conveniently power an external device, such as a PoE security camera, for seamless IP video integration. "

Just be advised that the smaller Loco version (as pictured) does NOT provide a secondary Ethernet port; it the larger Nanostation (non-Loco) that has a secondary port. Also, the Loco is powered by a passive 24 VDC POE injector, it does NOT use 802.3af or 802.3at compatible POE (such as supplied by a POE NVR).

Ubiquiti states in their specifications that the larger Nanonstation AC is powered like this, and I quote from the specs:
  • 802.3af Alternative A (Pairs 1, 2+; 3, 6 Return)
  • 24V Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return)
...but having NOT used that particular radio I cannot attest to how the secondary port works with the MAIN input; I would assume that what goes in on the "MAIN" port would be available on the "SECONDARY" output but that would be, as I said, an assumption on my part.

Jer-Bear

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the input! I will try to connect it to the router first. If that does not work, I will connect the bridge to one of the 8 ports in the back of the nvr.