Hikvision DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P Motion detection not working

MFuller

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi There,

I recently purchased the above NVR. Currently have two cameras, neither are Hikvision but both support motion detection. I've tried setting up motion detection via the NVR, but nothing ever seems to happen.

One camera for example is a Vivotek IP8160. It connects fine and is setup to use the Vivotek protocol.

Under Events>Basic Events I have set "Enable motion Detection" to on.
I have Drawn a detection area (also tried it without one).
Arming schedule is all blue to enable detection.
Linkage method had Trigger Channel ticked for that channel.

I thought that if I went into playback, and searched for that camera the Alarm colour should show up. I tried it in single camera view with the "motion" event selected in the little box, but nothing. It's all showing as continuous.

How do I get the NVR to show me when motion was detected? It doesn't seem to do it at all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Under Events>Basic Events I have set "Enable motion Detection" to on.
I have Drawn a detection area (also tried it without one).
Arming schedule is all blue to enable detection.
Linkage method had Trigger Channel ticked for that channel.
Do you have the storage type and schedule enabled fo rthe cameras channels in question ?
upload_2019-1-31_19-34-21.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that if I went into playback, and searched for that camera the Alarm colour should show up. I tried it in single camera view with the "motion" event selected in the little box, but nothing. It's all showing as continuous.
This will only work with Hikvision cameras, and then only in Playback single camera view, when playing, and with the 'swizzler' at the bottom left selected for Motion.

**edit** This refers to the web GUI, should have mentioned.

MFuller

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that I could set the cameras to record continuously, but show when motion was detected. That was if something happens that doesn't trigger the motion detection, I can still retrieve the video. But it looks like it has to be continuous OR motion detection.. not both :\

MFuller

n3wb
Reaction score
Does motion detection ONLY work for Hikvision cameras?

I have a generic IP camera, the motion detection seems to work on that if I set storage mode to motion (annoying as I was continuous with motion alerts).
The Vivotek that does have a supported protocol in the NVR doesn't seem to record any motion detection at all, regardless of storage setting.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does motion detection ONLY work for Hikvision cameras?
It depends on the capabilities of the protocol being used to connect to the cameras.
It does work on ONVIF compatible cameras, for example, if the specific camera implementation of ONVIF supports 'motion event notifications'.

The Vivotek that does have a supported protocol in the NVR doesn't seem to record any motion detection at all, regardless of storage setting.
Maybe the 'command and control' protocol being used to communicate with the camera does not include motion event notifications - despite the ability to configure it in the NVR.
Do the configurations that are made 'by proxy' via the NVR show up in the target camera web GUI?

If the camera supports ONVIF, that may be worth testing for motion event capabilities.
The camera can be queried using ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
If it supports ONVIF Event Notifications, these will show under the Events page.