Hikvision DS-7616NI-K2/16P v4 firmware

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone updated the NVR to the v4.30.005 firmware? How does it working? What's your experiences with this one? Does it working flawlessly or has some bugs?

Reaction score
ds-7616NI with Ver4.0 is crap. so far its bricked the NVR becasue it does not work properly.
seems the best way to upgrade is via TFTP
trying to restore this useless piece of shit now. HIK are the worst to deal with.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the latest opinion of risking a V3 to V4 firmware upgrade on this series of Hikvision NVRs, just not worth the risk? I use a DS-7608NI-K2/8P though have an unused DS-7616NI-K2/16P, more as spare as 8 cameras here seems enough, (so far).

Following the recent concerns flagged up on IPCT about vulnerabilities in Hikvivion firmware I've been checking today and I notice that there have been several updates of V4 firmware for this series of NVRs, it's named in the release notes.

Still best to stay with V3 firmware for these NVRs? Not having used V4 firmware I don't know what I'm missing, not much?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the latest opinion of risking a V3 to V4 firmware upgrade on this series of Hikvision NVRs, just not worth the risk?
It depends on whether you normally use the web GUI, or the VGA/HDMI interface.
The much-touted-by-Hikvision V4.x VGA/HDMI interface is totally different, and arguably an improvement over the V3.x version.
The web GUI isn't much changed.
It's fair to say that the new V4.x firmware is a bit flakey, each of the many versions has its own quirks.

But there are also upgrade risks, sufficient that Hikvision actually published an advisory on how to upgrade, attached, due to the many customers that were caught out.
If you don't follow this - you may end up with a corrupted configuration, and an inability to log on, and the need to perform some recovery actions.

Attachments

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.
Following the link to Hikvision's advisory whilst for example the DS-7608NI-I2 and DS-7616NI-I2 are mentioned, there is no specific OK given for the DS-7608NI-K2/8P and DS-7616NI-K2/16P, though as I posted before several of the V4 firmware versions have release notes which does mention these latter two NVRs.
I suppose I can assume that Hikvision's warning will apply to both series of NVRs.

I'm thinking I'll stick with V3 because I just use the web GUI.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It appears that upgrading a DS-7XXXNI-KX-series NVR to any approved V4 firmware that's currently available does not deliver a web Browser GUI that is plugin-free.
However, it seems that DS-7XXXNI-IX series V4 NVR firmware does potentially offer this feature, on V4.1.50 and above.

It's no a big deal I can still manage with V3, I'm just greedy for more features if they might be available.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears that upgrading a DS-7XXXNI-KX-series NVR to any approved V4 firmware that's currently available does not deliver a web Browser GUI that is plugin-free.
Just checking a DS-7616NI-K2 with V4.22.005 build 191208 against Edge (I don't often use Win10) and plugin-free video rendering works OK.
I normally access it with Chrome under Linux, and that does work mostly OK but a little quirky.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.
I note the V4.22.005 build 191208 firmware on the EU Hikvision download Portal is on the I-series NVRs section. It seems to be running OK on your K-series NVR.
Incidentally what's the difference between the K-series and I-series, anything significant?