Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P firmware upgrade gone bad?

Sabot68

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I fear I have bricked my Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR.
After getting sick of seeing random cameras show 'NO LINK' (I have 8 DS-2CD3332-I connected via cable) I decided to update the firmware from 2.3.11 to 3.0.10 from here: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-7600NI-SE 7600NI-V(VP)/V3.0.10 Build141125/

This is from the European site (I'm in AU) and was the only firmware I could find that quoted my exact model as being compatible.

I loaded the firmware file onto a USB drive and did a local upgrade. Everything seemed to go fine until the reboot.....after reboot I get as far as the HIKVISION EMBEDDED NVR boot screen then the output goes black and that's it,no mouse cursor or gui. I have the box connected via HDMI to a monitor. I looks as though after the boot 'splash' screen the output video mode changes as there is a loss of signal for 3 or so secs then a black screen is displayed.
I have tried to connect via a web browser without any luck.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried to connect via a web browser without any luck.
Does the NVR still show in SADP, and if so what does it show as the firmware version, serial number (for the region code) and IP address?
Can you ping the IP address?

The firmware at the link you posted does appear to match your model.
There are a couple of older versions here - but they probably are unsuitable for the region of your NVR: http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/download_89_p1.html

Have you power-cycled the NVR?

Sabot68

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the NVR still show in SADP, and if so what does it show as the firmware version, serial number (for the region code) and IP address?
Can you ping the IP address?

The firmware at the link you posted does appear to match your model.
There are a couple of older versions here - but they probably are unsuitable for the region of your NVR: http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/download_89_p1.html

Have you power-cycled the NVR?
Hi,
No the NVR does not show in SADP, yes I can ping the ip address (which I got from my routers connected devices list).
Yes I have power cycled the NVR many times, leaving varying amounts of time between power on, sometimes hours.

Sabot68

n3wb
Reaction score
one thing I forgot to mention is that is beeps twice when booting up, it only used to beep once before I upgraded the firmware

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The double beep is an indication that the loaded firmware is not compatible.
I think you need to look at using the tftp recovery process to try loading an earlier version of firmware and hope that you can get it fully booting again.
As Hikvision seem to have removed their Hikvision-specific tftp updater from their websites you can find a copy, with instructions, in the download from the first link in this thread:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English
And an earlier version of the firmware from the location you got the update from.
Good luck!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem, is the nvr does not like to jump to 3xxx firmware from 2xxx, the only way I could get the 7616ni-se/p to make the jump was by tftp, and I had to do that twice, make sure your disconnect the camera's while you do a tftp upgrade.

Sabot68

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, SUCCESS! tftp worked like a charm first time. I have upgraded to 3.0.15. I still get a double beep at re-boot/power up but the box completes booting and all camera are visible and everything looks to be working 100%.

Huge thank you to all for your help, I really thought I had bricked the box.