Hikvision DS-7716N - I want to add cameras from a remote nvr. Help me figure it out.

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded to a Hikvision DS-7716N-E4/16P NVR. I passed down my old Swann nvr over to my in-laws. Part of the reason why I upgraded to a 16 channel box was because my in-laws are out of town a bunch. I only run 7 cameras on my nvr and wanted to have enough channels to add the 3 of their cameras into my nvr to keep on eye on their house while they are gone.

I've added individual IP cameras into my old nvr box (which now my in-laws have), so I was thinking I'd be able to do something similar. Would that be possible since now those cameras are connected directly into their nvr box? My nvr wasn't very happy when I tried to add their ip into one of my channels. I'll have to try it again.

Or am I looking at it all wrong? Should I be thinking of rtsp instead?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-7716N - I want to add cameras from a remote nvr. Help me figure it o

Before getting into the intricacies of dynamic DNS, remote access by whatever method they would be comfortable with - a question on practicality:
Adding remote cameras implies a network connection with enough bandwidth to support the minimum video quality you are looking for.
What is the internet upload (not download) speed available at your in-laws house?

On a LAN connection, with, say, 3MP cameras, you'd be using maybe 4-8Mbps per camera.
For a remote connection, even if you drop down the bit rate, resolution, frames per second - you'd still be looking at what might be an impractical, and maybe costly if there is a usage cap, size of internet connection.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-7716N - I want to add cameras from a remote nvr. Help me figure it o

if you could be happy with some 4 /6 fps and h.265 variable or variable h.264+ then you could do it pretty ok.

probably better to keep quality at max and lower framerate .. depending on what you are watching obviously

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I gave my in-laws (2) 3mp & (1) 2mp cameras. I'm mostly only interested in viewing their front camera which covers their door and driveway. Doesn't have to be full quality. Their upload speeds is 4Mbps. From what I could see, Charter has removed their data caps and will only hit you up if you are bogging down their system. I'd be okay with a lower frame rate.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I would just watch the substream instead at max settings. I do that with my remote setup. I can watch the mainstream as well but have to go down to about 2-4 fps. So I just leave at 20 fps mainstream and watch substream which is good enough. The thing that sucks is when you want to change settings remotely in ivms 4200 for motion sensing etc that little window takes main stream for some reason that I can't figure out. Maybe some way around it.

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I would just watch the substream instead at max settings. I do that with my remote setup. I can watch the mainstream as well but have to go down to about 2-4 fps. So I just leave at 20 fps mainstream and watch substream which is good enough. The thing that sucks is when you want to change settings remotely in ivms 4200 for motion sensing etc that little window takes main stream for some reason that I can't figure out. Maybe some way around it.

I can log into their NVR via Ivms-4200 at work with no problem. What I am wanting to do is have their camera(s) show up on my home nvr for when I am home. Before I gave them my old nvr, I had a set up a standalone hik camera at their house and I was able to add their camera into my nvr with no problem. Just typed in their ip number, port number, hik protocol, user name and password and away we went. However, now that that same camera is behind the nvr, i'm not having much luck adding those cameras to my nvr. Many years ago I did the same thing when I had a Dahua dvr. I was able to add their old dvr into my available channel on my home system.

I'm just wondering if I am going at it wrong. Should I be looking at making a custom protocol for rtsp? Or would it be easy enough to continue to add their cameras just as I would any other camera? Hopefully I can do that with the NVR being in the way.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Ok sorry my bad.

If you activate virtual host in the nvr and make a static route for each camera in their router then you can do what you are asking for

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Ok sorry my bad.

If you activate virtual host in the nvr and make a static route for each camera in their router then you can do what you are asking for

Thank you. I'll have to take a look at that.