HikVision DS-7716NI-I4/16P

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi guy's,

i am new here so please be gentle, i am after some advice. I currently have 3 Y-CAM 1080p V2 link to my Synology DS3615xs via Synology Surveillance Station, but i find it useless when trying find something FF/RW not not work currently on OSX via web browser and i am planning to purchase more camera's (HikVision ones this time), I have decided to ditch that and buy a HikVision DS-7716NI-I4 (none PoE version), but no-one seems to have stock (in UK at least, even though there web sites say they do), so now for my question.

If i where to buy the PoE version DS-7716NI-I4/16P would i be able to connect some of the CAM's to the PoE side and some to the normal LAN side though my existing switch? or All of them and just ignore the PoE side all together, as to reroute the existing cabling from the cam's would be a nightmare.

thanks
Andy.

Sprocket

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new here too and after two days of trying to make a HikVision NVR work on our iMac running El Capitan hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a machine that will work with OSX because as far as I can see it's a hard thing to find and I'm thinking of using a Synology 1515+ instead. I'll start a thread but will keep an eye on yours with interest.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm new here too and after two days of trying to make a HikVision NVR work on our iMac running El Capitan hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a machine that will work with OSX because as far as I can see it's a hard thing to find and I'm thinking of using a Synology 1515+ instead. I'll start a thread but will keep an eye on yours with interest.
imo, synology SS on Safari is a complete waste of time, even viewing 3 x live 1080p streams eat's cpu, on my MacBook Pro 2.7Ghz (Retina Display). Try to search for something in history using FF/RR does not work drops to less 1 second every 20 seconds, no smooth scanning through video.

so imo do not pay for any licenses before you test it, if you do decide to go this way and need licenses i have 2 here for sale if you need any.

now hopefully someone can answer my original question regarding HikVision hardware.

Sprocket

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm (belatedly) aware of the poor performance reports of the latest version of Surveillance Station and that's why we originally chose to go with a stand alone NVR. Sadly our supplier hadn't implemented a Mac installation (recently, at least) and so the NVR sits there until we can find a solution. Luckily, we haven't paid for it yet! I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll post directly for help although I see others have done so with no conclusive results that I have had time to read yet.

By the way, I read that the Synology licenses are not transferable - we have 2 NAS boxes from them and I was thinking that I could combine them but it doesn't look as if that is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you should tell Synology that QNAP does allow transfer of SS purchased licences between boxes, so they should as well.
I used to use QNAP Surveillance Station, and still do on a small scale, but it's very heavy on the box, especially on playback and lacks needed features. I think all their effort goes into creating and maintaining camera models as opposed to improving the app.
A year or so ago I moved on to Hikvision NVRs and have been very pleased with their stability and functionality. Though acknowledging that Blue Iris allows a lot more detailed fiddling, sorry, configuration.