Hikvision dvr bricked serial tool question

Colt45lush

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-7208HQI-K2 that had a failed update. The monitor received a signal but stays black and nothing else shows up. Nothing on the SADP tool. Will this work to connect to the serial port. LC234X. I'm new to this and have some reading to do.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Will this work to connect to the serial port.
If that's a DB9 connector on the back panel (as opposed to a 4-pin connector on the main board) it will likely need an RS232 interface and null model cable as opposed to the USB to TTL serial interface of the device in the link.

edit
Actually - looking at the device data sheet, the back panel has an RS485 interface.
I don't know if that supports the serial console.
My suggestion would be to check the main board for an unconnected 4-pin 1.5mm ZH JST connector.
If that exists - it will be serial TTL levels and should be OK for the device you linked to.
But you will need to buy some wired connectors to hook up to it.

Colt45lush

n3wb
Reaction score
That is vga out. The board has two 4 pin connectors. I can post pics later. I have windows 10 is the "tool" I linked to going to work ok for me if I have the correct 4 pins on the board.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like there are 2 candidates, JP10 and JP12. I'd try JP12 first.
To test, if you don't have a multimeter, connect the GND of the convertor to the chassis, and try the RX of the convertor on either of the 2 centre pins.
With the terminal program (PuTTY works well) set to 115,200 baud, 8 bits no parity, check for output when the DVR is powered on.
When you get that, connect the TX to the other centre pin.
One of the outer pins will be 5v, one will be GND. But I don't know which as I'm away just now. You could just leave GND connected to the chassis if that works.

Colt45lush

n3wb
Reaction score
First time using one of these ttl tools. The one I linked above was plug and play with windows 10. All drivers installed when it was connected.

jaydinho

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a bricked DS-96128 NVR

I would like to know which connector on the board I need to use for serial connection.

It has DB9 to 5 pin on the board and also a jst connection labelled JA1 ARM. I have tried connecting a USB TTL adapter to TX/RX and ground on the 4 pin serial but can't interupt the boot process. I am waiting for a jst connector, is it likely this would be the correct port to use on the board?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried connecting a USB TTL adapter to TX/RX and ground on the 4 pin serial but can't interupt the boot process.
The DB9 connector on the back panel provides an RS-232 connection, not a serial TTL connection.
These are 2 different signalling level standard for serial communications.

To connect to the serial console, you'll need a USB to RS-232 adaptor, and a null modem cable, with the serial interface set to 115,200 baud, 8 bits no parity.

What problem are you trying to solve?

jaydinho

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried a usb serial null modem first with no luck. I'm trying to interrupt the boot process and reload a firmware via serial.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the RS-232 adaptor show the serial console output messages normally?

Assuming that the adaptor TX is connected to the NVR RX properly, try holding Control-U until it auto-repeats then power on the NVR.

jaydinho

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it outputs msgs as normal but when I power the nvr while holding control-u I get nothing other than auto repeat.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How far does the boot process get?
Far enough for a psh or other prompt that would confirm valid connections by echoing characters that you type?
Can you share a sample boot transcript?