Hikvision DVR simultaneous recording to HDD & redundant target

Reaction score
I once had my DVR recording to both targets simultaneously. Then, one night a couple of months ago, after a power surge (even though I had DVR on a UPS), the connection was lost by what I assume was a corrupted file, header, or something.
I've been unable to replicate the accomplishment. I can get DVR to "see" the redundant HDD target, read the allocated space, and attempt to "initiate"..Process reaches 20%, throws up an error and quits; although, the allocated space now has almost 2000 1GB files created.

Any ideas what the hell is going on here? Makes no sense to me that I can see communication between the DVR and the external target HDD, see the HDD actually "formatted" with a "format exception error", yet the "free space" value is undetermined...
upload_2017-8-27_14-53-10.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been unable to replicate the accomplishment. I can get DVR to "see" the redundant HDD target, read the allocated space, and attempt to "initiate"..Process reaches 20%, throws up an error and quits; although, the allocated space now has almost 2000 1GB files created.
If you didn't already do this - maybe try deleting all the files on the NAS volume before you get the DVR to 'format' the volume.
On the basis that there may be a file or files remaining that trips it up during the format, thinking it may be foreign files, which we know Hikvision NetHDD formatting takes exception to.

Reaction score
If you didn't already do this - maybe try deleting all the files on the NAS volume before you get the DVR to 'format' the volume.
On the basis that there may be a file or files remaining that trips it up during the format, thinking it may be foreign files, which we know Hikvision NetHDD formatting takes exception to.
Thank you for suggestion. I've done that already. Same result...I'm sure it is something minor that I've overlooked. Just very frustrating.

As an FYI...the volume is one of two on the NAS. NAS is a QNAP. I just can't figure out what I've left out of the equation.

Last edited: