Hikvision Emergency Firmware Recovery TFTP (2024)

Reaction score
Is this still a thing in 2024

I just opened a sealed camera box for a G1 Acusense . Howerever it just does NOT want to work,
its definitely out of warranty. When I plug it in, all the lights correspond to how they should but the SADP tool does not find it.
I have hooked it up via a POE injector to power it on and connected it straight the LAN port of my laptop and it still does not see it.

The TFTP instructions are simple, I have followed them

"""
Firmware:
1. Rename the firmware to digcap.dav
2. Put the firmware in the same folder as the TFTP files
3. Set the IP of computer as 192.0.0.128
4. Camera's IP can be anything
5. Run the tftpserv.exe by double clicking
6. Power on your IP camera and plug it into your router using a cable.
7. Please wait until TFTP shows "Device [192.0.0.64] system update completed!" It takes about
5 minutes.
8. Close the TFTP before the camera reboots.
9. IP Camera will restart automatically after upgrading.

Go to the cameras IP address usually 192.0.0.64
and set a new password it must be secure. usually capital letters and small and numbers.

Then set your cam to whatever you wish I ticked DHCP so it is set by my NVR.

set your PC IP address back to normal

""

but this is as far as it goes...

Screenshot 2024-09-09 153952.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Rename the firmware to digcap.dav
That's not correct - the unzipped firmware file does not need renaming, and will be digicap.dav

Set the IP of computer as 192.0.0.128
Some later, but still old, models of camera probe for the updater on 192.168.1.128

Run the tftpserv.exe by double clicking
At which point, for the first time it's run, there should be a Windows security pop-up asking if access to the PC for that program should be allowed.
Click OK.
If not - temporarily disable the Windows firewall to allow the program to respond to the inbound probes.

I have hooked it up via a POE injector to power it on and connected it straight the LAN port of my laptop and it still does not see it.
Due to some short timing allowances, the Hikvision tftp updater works best when the camera and PC are each connected to their own router or switch port, and the camera is powered by 12v as opposed to via PoE.

The Hikvision tftp updater has a 32MB filesize limit, and will get stuck in a download loop if the firmware file is larger than that.
If so the Scott Lamb Python2 clone does not have that size limitation.