Hikvision EN R6 Firmware 5.4.4

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see on Hikvision's download portal that firmware version 5.4.4 has been released as of today for the R6 series IP cameras which includes the 2CD2342.

Sorry can't seem to paste the in link here.

Is this finally the firmware release that fixes many of the image issues discussed in this post: Firmware 5.4.x working with HikVision on bugs

Release notes are also available but there does not seem to be any mention of any significant improvements other than adding a third stream.

gringo

n3wb
Reaction score
There is the link for R6 5.4.4 Firmware
Unfortunately the image issuses are not fixed, Image is still grainy and noisy during the day! Maybe we should wait for 5.5.0 ???

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Out of interest...what resolution is the third stream? I hope its more useful that the current substream.

Lorian

n3wb
Reaction score
The noise is still there for me.
I don't see any config for a third stream. Ill play some more later.
H264+ seems to be working for me though (early days), where I've had problems with it previously.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The noise is still there for me.
I don't see any config for a third stream. Ill play some more later.
H264+ seems to be working for me though (early days), where I've had problems with it previously.
H264+ seems good to me too, by grainy how bad is it, mine does seem not too bad.

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
Just updated to 5.4.4 and noticed there is no longer a percentage threshold for intrusion detection, so even the smallest object moving into view now triggers an alert. I'm wondering if decreasing the sensitivity will help.

Has 5.4.4 fixed the pulsating images in H264+? I only ever experienced the pulsating images in night viewing. I'll enable it and test tonight.

Lorian

n3wb
Reaction score
The pulsating is still there. I see it in daytime too, its easiest to see if you zoom in

Lorian

n3wb
Reaction score
I checked and I still see the percentage value but only if I change "standard" to "expert" in the Configuration drop-down.

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
The percentage value is still there in the expert dropdown for basic motion detection, but it isn't there in the intrusion detection settings.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pulsating is still there. I see it in daytime too, its easiest to see if you zoom in
Imo no where near as bad, and quiet expectable since I am saving 75%, I was getting 15min @ 1Gb, now getting 1hr to 1Gb. I am more than happy with it. Are you not ?

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 15.04.57.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 15.05.06.jpg

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully it is as it now looks like it's set to 0 by default now. Inspecting the DOM element in the web interface shows that the percentage option gets hidden on page load. I did modify the DOM to get the percentage option to appear, which I then changed to a higher number, but it looks like it doesn't save the value as it resets to 0 when I refresh the page. Hopefully 5.4.5 will introduce it again.

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
Imo no where near as bad, and quiet expectable since I am saving 75%, I was getting 15min @ 1Gb, now getting 1hr to 1Gb. I am more than happy with it. Are you not ?
I agree. Nowhere near as bad as before. It was very visible before 5.4.4. I too have reenabled it.

On another note, is it just me, or has anyone else found 5.4.4 now takes a bit longer in detecting a moving object? Prior to 5.4.4, my camera would take about 1 second to highlight people who are walking pass my driveway. It now seems to take a bit longer.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree. Nowhere near as bad as before. It was very visible before 5.4.4. I too have reenabled it.

On another note, is it just me, or has anyone else found 5.4.4 now takes a bit longer in detecting a moving object? Prior to 5.4.4, my camera would take about 1 second to highlight people who are walking pass my driveway. It now seems to take a bit longer.
I am getting less false alarm's.

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seeing the opposite, but that's only because I mainly use intrusion alarms and they have removed the percentage option from the configuration meaning the smallest moving object triggers it.

I'm using the line crossing detection to trigger a recording, but it now misses events as the object detection kicks in a bit later therefore missing the line crossing.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The image flickering seems to be resolved when using H264+

glfp

n3wb
Reaction score
I confirm that 5.4.4 resolve the flickering image. I re-enabled H264+ on my camera without issues.

simon247

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seeing the opposite, but that's only because I mainly use intrusion alarms and they have removed the percentage option from the configuration meaning the smallest moving object triggers it.

I'm using the line crossing detection to trigger a recording, but it now misses events as the object detection kicks in a bit later therefore missing the line crossing.
So for some odd reason I'm now seeing a "Max size" and "Min size" option in the intrusion and line detection settings, but only for one of my cameras when viewed in Safari on Mac OS. These buttons were not there before. Accessing the page in Firefox shows these buttons on all my cameras. These options allow me to draw a retangular area to specify the minimum and maximum size of a moving object before they trigger the intrusion/line alarms, which should in theory reduce the number of false alarms I'm experiencing.

If you're using Mac OS and you're not seeing these buttons on Safari, my advice would be to use Firefox.

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A couple of observations since updating to 5.4.4 on my 2CD2342.

The MAX / MIN buttons on the intrusion detection were mentioned by @simon247. If you don't see the buttons after updating you will need to update to the latest webcomponents, clear the browser cache, close and reopen the browser and it should show the buttons.

The third stream that was mentioned in the release notes is disabled by default. To enable the third stream you will need to tick the selection box under the System -> Maintenance -> System Service tab. The catch is that enabling the third stream disables H264+ , WDR and a couple of other settings so it will be a case of living without these features if you need the third stream. That said, the third stream is a higher resolution than the current sub-stream and potentially much more useful if remote viewing is your thing.

There appears to be a new resolution available of 2304 x 1296 under the Video/Audio settings. I don't recall it being available on 5.3.8.

My Ipad now seems to take forever to show a image from the camera when viewed through IVMS4500. Its annoying as sometimes I want to quickly see what caused a noise outside but by the time the image loads, whatever caused the noise is gone from the field of view.

Finally, after hoping that the firmware update from 5.3.8 would finally bring about the night time image improvements that I've been hoping for I've finally come to the conclusion that it's as good as it gets. Disappointing really.