Hikvision H265+ Queries

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Noticed that Hikvision has H265+ now but they don't have an option in the Disk Calculator to calculate disk space usage, any ideas how to calculate this?

Also does anyone think that H265 actually produces a better picture than H264? Apart from bandwidth is there any benefits?

Thanks in advance.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you mean H.264+?

H.265 won't magically give a better image than H.264. It will be better at same low bitrates but if I set the bitrate high enough H.264 might be better.

jacngo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Del Boy,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, Its the disk space savings with H265+ not implying about quality. You get the same quality at way less cost to storage. I really want to take advantage of H264+, my NVR won't playback H265 but can record H265.

usm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
Mention of H.265(+) : H.265(+) is here to stay

To show the advantages of the new encoding technology we will discuss here a test based on surveillance cameras filming in a 1080p (full HD) resolution and a framerate of 25fps. We took two test environments: a cafe and a street crossing. In both environments we tested for three situations. This makes a total of six combinations we have test results for. The basis of the test is an instant bitrate comparison under these six circumstances to determine reduction of bandwidth needs with the new protocols. The average decreased rate between H.264 and H.265 is 47,8%. When applying Hikvision H.265+ the decrease rate increases to an average of 83.7 percent.

To come to an estimation of the needed storage capacity over a 24 hours surveillance day, we can extrapolate these bitrates. For this calculation the day is divided in 12 hours daytime and 12 hours of nighttime. For the daytime we calculated with “many moving objects” to keep the calculation most realistic.

For the café monitoring, the decreased rate of the 24-hour file size between H.264 and Hikvision H.265+ is 82.5 percent. For the intersection monitoring, the decreased rate of the 24-hour file size between H.264 and Hikvision H.265+ is 79.4 percent. Hikvision H.265+ can greatly decrease the file size in the all-day monitoring and decrease the storage cost in the end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
File size alone without seeing the degradation in the video is useless...

Reactions: usm

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm seeing these image quality tradeoffs with h264 vs. h264zip+. I have a LTS (Hilvision) EXIR camera and try to read license plates with it. I want to maximize image quality, with bitrate and file size being secondary. Even when I crank up the h264 bitrate as high as the camera will let me, the picture resolution is downright lousy. A pretty high percentage of those 4 megapixels are being thrown away by the compression. ROI helps a lot, yet is still lacking. Switching to h264zip+, the overall image quality goes up. Plate reading ability is up significantly. ROI unfortunately is not available, and playback reliability is lower (things like random unplayable segments, image corruption, and the PC client freezing or crashing). Neither configuration is the "best" choice. To optimize one thing you have to give up something else.