Hikvision: how to store a video on a NAS?

Paul B.

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Perhaps I've overlooked it on this froum but I'm struggling with my Hikvision camera to store a video directly on my NAS. So far I've succeeded to let the camera store a serie of images (.jpg) on my NAS when motion is detected, but I want it to store a video.

These are my devices:
Hikvision DS-2CD2145FWD-I
NAS Synolgy DS212J

I'm not using the iVMS-4200 software, I just want to do it via the webinterface of the cam.

So i've set the motion detection correctly, scheduled it 24/7, linked it to upload to my FTP. Next thing is to go to "Storage". There I set the Record Schedule on Motion 24/7. Then I go to Capture Schedule, Parameters but here I can only configure .jpg snapshots. I expect to configure videos here, but it seems this is not the place for it.

I'm not quite sure how to go further but could it have something to do with configuring Management Net HDD?

p.s. I do not want to use the Surveillance package from Synology, just straight from camera to the NAS.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul

Last edited:

Paul B.

n3wb
Reaction score
I give up... at Storage management/Net HDD I connected my NAS (192.168.1.xxx + path, SMB/CIFS login) and formatted the HDD, as that apparently was required. When I browsed the "formatted" disk, 7 subdirectories were created (datadir0 up to 6), all filled with hundreds of empty .MP4 files like hiv00001.mp4, hiv00002.mp4 etc. And still no video recording of events....

So I gave up, went back to the Surveillance app of Synology, attached & configured quite easy my Hikvision cam and now everything is working perfect.

P.s. with my Foscam cam's I've no problem whatsoever storing videos directly on a NAS.

nanopete

n3wb
Reaction score
In case you haven't yet found it elsewhere in here; Hikvision NAS HDD function can not handle too much free space. It appears you have to set a quote on a NFS or CIFS/SMB share of around 200gb, then things should lighten up :cool: