Hikvision Image Problem and Skipping during playback

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OMG am dizzy now watching that! Huge jitter loops on that video. Glad I don't see that on mine, maybe there's some mileage in having "cheapie" cameras after all ;-)

Some things to consider here - the camera does the encoding and just sends frame packets (full iframe and update frames) along the LAN for the NVR to act on (display/record etc). The NVR does no analytics on the images, just displays to monitor or records if a trigger event was received. I'd guess that the NVR must hold a buffer so that it can honour the pre-record requirements, how it does this I don't know, likely it won't have huge amounts of RAM to handle that but that's a guess. Ethernet can suffer congestion/collisions and potentially lose packets, I doubt video streams do a retransmit if a packet gets lost so its possible the odd frame gets skipped if the LAN or NVR get busy with traffic.

If you view the camera feed on the web GUI for the camera itself do you see the same pausing or is it silky smooth as you've expect it to be?
Would maybe help ID if its the camera or NVR end that's struggling. Maybe also set the camera to record to your PC HDD and compare results.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
when i view the camera via gui the picture is normal, but i really havent set in front of it to see if it happens. i guess its like watching grass grown.
how can i set the camera to record to the pc hdd since its a nvr camera?
now it cant be cabling because for one the 2 cameras use brand new cabling and are directly plugged into the nvr and the distance on one of the cameras is like 1 meter another one maybe 15 meters.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think to record direct from camera you'd have to leave the web GUI to it connected and you can set where to record to in the "local settings" tab. Might work, never tried it myself having an NVR for that and also not having Hik cameras, but maybe worth a try. Know what you mean tho, intermittent issues are a PITA to trace down and fix :-(

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yep thanks i've figured how to record from the camera. will leave it recording for a while tomorrow and see what happens.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
another quick question, how do you change the camera and also the nvr to NTSC/60hz? is that set via the firmware you have installed?
i want to change the shutter speed to 1/30 but i've noticed i dont have that option i get for example 1/25, 1/50.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello guys
ok more testing today, and please correct me if im wrong but this seems like it could be a nvr issue.
i have attached two photos.
this photo is from the nvr recording and you can see the distortion / jitter
playback recording from nvr

and this photo is recorded from the live view from the camera and the distortion / jitter is not there
recording directly from camera

now to me that seems to be something wrong with the nvr right?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does sound then like the NVR is stalling during the capture to disk, or maybe dropping packets and thereby losing frames. Can't really say that the NVR is faulty, could just be a feature/limitation, what HDD does it have installed?

Alistair or someone with more experience may be able to add more info to suggest other options etc.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the HDD is WD Purple drive. i also tested a different hard drive this morning and the same issue is there.
there is some issue because even if the recording resolution is reduced the issue is still there, and i only have 3 cameras attached so far, and they all exhibit the same issue.
ohh well. ive contacted hikvision support and yeah ill see what they say.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
for anyone whos interested i could not resolve the issue and ended up returning the cameras and nvr.
i ended up buying a newer model nvr the DS-7608NI-I2 and the camera DS-2CD2355FWD-I

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah so far it's been good. I have a couple of issues to sort out. That begs the question how do you stop the camera from false recording motion at night. For example at night it starts to record because of little bugs or something flying towards the infra-red

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah cameras with built in IR suffer from that unfortunately. I use separate IR illuminators sited 4ft or so to the side, so the bugs head for them but rarely show much on the camera images. Also means spiders go for the IR lights rather than the cameras so I don't get the issue of webs and big white spiders blocking the night views. You'll find the same issues with rain (and snow in colder areas) where the IR reflects and the cameras vision gets very limited.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahh OK cool. The other little bug I've found is sometimes the motion detection doesn't work 100% meaning the recording shows a car already half way down the street on the recording. So it's like the motion detection didn't pick up the car till half way. I have increased the pre recording to 15 seconds. But that doesn't seem to resolve it

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only time I've see skipped frames is when people use crap hard drives in their NVR.

only use a digital video hard drive like a western digital purx40, or similar.
my personal choice is to avoid Seagate due to high levels for failure.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i found that the motion detection problem was the result of the firmware version. i downgraded to the original firmware that was on the camera when i bought it and motion detection works better.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the DS-7616NI-K2 with firmware V3.4.96 build 170921.

I have noticed on mine during playback that the bottom section of the screen goes distorted and around 10 seconds is missed. I was trying to identify a car that entered my property but I got nothing as during this home breach, the recording gets distorted and the video skips.

I need to check the settings and other cameras. This camera is a 2342 and the others are mostly the 2335.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just went through the playback on my system and it appears it doesn’t matter what model of camera I select, the skipping of 10 seconds happens. The 2342 I have is nearly worse. On playback, it plays fine for 10 seconds, freezes, then resumes 10 seconds later. Just like a loop.

My cams are all connected to a Poe switch then back to the NVR via a lan cable.

I will connect a cam to the NVR directly using one of its Poe ports to determine if its a bandwidth issue.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The distortion seems to happen only on the 2342 and 2332 that I have. The 2335 cams showed no distortion but they are set to H.265.

Anyhow it appears to be a bandwidth/connection issue. I connected a 2342 via the Poe port on the NVR and it worked flawless. I sat and watched the cams live and issues appear so definitely a LAN problem and not a Hard Disk problem.

This will be fun now sorting this out. Hopefully it’s not a LAN port issue on the NVR.