HIKVision IP Camera No Link

Reaction score
Hello and good day, noon, or evening!

The company that I am working for right now is having a problem with their IP cameras, and this is my first job as a fresh graduate in IT.
Basically, some of the IP cameras show no link on the monitor, but the red light is working. We have two NVRs that are connected to DLINK DGS and then to POE SWITCH; they are on the same network.
I removed some of the IP cameras that show 'No Link' and plugged them directly into the POE switch to find out if they were broken, but they worked properly and appeared on the monitor.
Problem:
1. No link, but the red light on the camera is working.

What could be the problem? I hope I am on the right page or thread.
Thank you in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the model numbers of the NVR's?

Do the NVR's have POE ports for the cameras?
If so, are some cameras plugged into the NVR's POE ports and some cameras are plugged into a POE switch?

A sketch of your network, NVRs, POE switch and camera connections would help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I removed some of the IP cameras that show 'No Link' and plugged them directly into the POE switch......
Where or what were those cameras that show 'No Link' plugged into BEFORE you "plugged them directly into the POE switch" and "they worked properly and appeared on the monitor" ?

So it's a 'no' on the sketch of your network, NVRs, POE switch and camera connections? I ask because the specs on the NVR state that each NVR can only decode 8 channels of 1080p @ 30fps so there may be a bandwidth issue.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If anybody unplugged a camera at anypoint, and moved them to a different nvr or a different port on the same NVR they might need to be deleted and re-added fresh.....make sure you get a screen shot of the current config of the offline cams, like which port, which Ip they were given, what name they were given, anything that will help you ID the cam in a " device search" to re-add the cam.
Check to make sure they are not somehow "paused" if thats even " a thing" on that device.

Reaction score
Where or what were those cameras that show 'No Link' plugged into BEFORE you "plugged them directly into the POE switch" and "they worked properly and appeared on the monitor" ?

So it's a 'no' on the sketch of your network, NVRs, POE switch and camera connections? I ask because the specs on the NVR state that each NVR can only decode 8 channels of 1080p @ 30fps so there may be a bandwidth issue.
Where or what were those cameras that show 'No Link' plugged into BEFORE you "plugged them directly into the POE switch" and "they worked properly and appeared on the monitor"?
Those are HIKVisions IPCameras that used to work, but then they told me that after the consecutive brownout happened in our city, some of those IPCameras stopped working. The reason why I pulled out those 'No Link' IPCameras is because I want to test if they are broken or not.
P.S: We have 61 HIKVisions IPCameras and more or less 25 are not working.

here's the sketch, i hope its right.
Untitled.pngssdasda

Reaction score
If anybody unplugged a camera at anypoint, and moved them to a different nvr or a different port on the same NVR they might need to be deleted and re-added fresh.....make sure you get a screen shot of the current config of the offline cams, like which port, which Ip they were given, what name they were given, anything that will help you ID the cam in a " device search" to re-add the cam.
Check to make sure they are not somehow "paused" if thats even " a thing" on that device.
I have already made a list of the IP addresses and names of every IP camera we have right now and tried to remove/add again, but nothing happened.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps buy a few replacements and put a couple up at the problem areas, if the new cam works, then maybe Bad cam.....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Or who know if the POE switch got injured in the brown out. maybe its having trouble pushing power to the "long runs" where voltage could drop down and make the camera go offline.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I removed some of the IP cameras that show 'No Link' and plugged them directly into the POE switch to find out if they were broken, but they worked properly and appeared on the monitor.
Problem:
1. No link, but the red light on the camera is working.
Perhaps 1 or more cameras or POE ports damaged by a surge when power was restored. :idk:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will it be fixed if I replace every cable and POE for No Link IPCameras?
They're running some really basic switches for such a large camera network...that could be part of the problem. Find out what the PoE power requirements are for each camera and then check the maximum PoE power load supported by the PoE switch or switches they are connected to. If the switch PoE power is being over loaded then some cameras aren't going to work because the switch doesn't have enough PoE power budget available to support them. They should be using a more capable commercial grade switch like Cisco or Netgear to support the 61cameras and not have so many smaller switches. When I look at your photos my OCD kicks in and wants to fix it. :lmao:

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're running some really basic switches for such a large camera network...that could be part of the problem. Find put what the PoE power requirements are for each camera and then check the maximum PoE power load supported by the PoE switch or switches they are connected to. If the switch PoE power is being over loaded then some cameras aren't going to work because the switch doesn't have enough PoE power budget available to support them. They should be using a more capable commercial grade switch like Cisco or Netgear to support the 61cameras and not have so many smaller switches. When I look at your photos my OCD kicks in and wants to fix it. :lmao:
If I show you the server room, it will give you a heart attack, I guess. Only two POE's I have seen so far and maybe there are more on the ceiling (IPC > POE > POE) ig.
You can see that one POE switch in the photo is full, and maybe you are right about it being overloaded.

P.S: I really do not know what to do, but I also want to learn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd start with a known good (working) POE switch before I moved on to the cables.
Replacing the POE switch is quick and simple, the cables more time consuming and difficult.
I have also noticed that when we try to pull those cables (First cable and white one) plugged into the POE switches, nothing happens to the display on the monitor.

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have also noticed that when we try to pull those cables plugged into the POE switches, nothing happens to the display on the monitor.
It sounds like the PoE switch might be toast..and I'll bet they have no surge protectors protecting the equipment. In regards to knowing what to do and learning, just work your way through the entire system testing every switch, switch port, and camera until you shake out the whole system to determine what works and what doesn't work. You'll need some known good PoE switches and/or some test equipment, preferably that can measure PoE power at the switch ports. If a camera can't get the PoE power it needs then nothing else will matter because it's not going to work.