Hikvision Launches Direct End User Sales? (IPVM Announcement)

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this?
http://ipvm.com/updates/3143

I received an email, but I am not a member so I can't read the whole article

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. First I heard of it. Since I am very much an end user, I would like to see them offer their entire product line at reasonable prices. But somehow I don't think that will happen. The pessimist in me expects dumbed down products like the dropcam, sold with huge profit margins and the minimum warranty allowed by local law. Emphasis on the dumbed down part, because Hikvision has historically been afraid of supporting end users. This wouldn't threaten their existing business partners too much while still allowing them a slice of the end user pie.

DarenB

n3wb
Reaction score
Two things that I am very interested in.
1. What does that article on IPVM say?
2. Is it worth it to get an IPVM subscription?

Any thoughts, anyone?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Two things that I am very interested in.
1. What does that article on IPVM say?
2. Is it worth it to get an IPVM subscription?

Any thoughts, anyone?
You can always try a subscription and determine if its worthwhile
100% Guaranteed
We guarantee that you will be satisfied being an IPVM PRO member. If not, we will issue a 100% refund, within 30 days, no questions asked.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you open up with mobile browser (Chrome in my case) You will get a first sentence which is basically tells us what it is "Introducing Ezviz"

Since Ezviz branded cameras already been around, they are probably just expanding the offering.

And if you look at the source document, you can also get a link to https://www.ezviz7.com/

DarenB

n3wb
Reaction score
I am probably going to go ahead and do the subscription for a couple of reasons.

1. I saw several articles on the site that looked interesting. Hopefully, the contents are as interesting as the titles.

2. If they really do a great job of independent testing then it might be well worth the money. I recently did a decent size Hik install and found Hik's documentation to be extremely lacking, especially in technical details. It was very frustrating. For example, I was trying to decide between regular Class 10 sd cards or UHS 3. I asked if the camera models are capable of taking advantage of the UHS 3 speed and the reply I got was that they don't recommend relying on sd cards for recording. Ok, I understand that, but it was not the question that I asked. Another time I asked about the difference in sensitivity between 850 nm and 940 nm, as the client wanted completely covert lights, if they would work. This is not a difficult test for a diagnostic rig, under controlled conditions, and I would guess they already do the testing for 850 nm, but the answer I got was, "It should work ok. We support infrared." Wow! Really? I used to run a performance benchmarking lab and if I gave answers like that, I would have been fired. Maybe I'm just pedantic, but in a detail oriented industry, that is a good thing, right? Alright, I'll stop complaining there. In general though, I do like most of the qualities of their products, especially for the price point.

DarenB

n3wb
Reaction score
As for EzViz and the article, thank you for the pointer. If that's it, then no big deal. I went through the EzViz pages and like everything else, there are no details as to how anything really works. Not to mention substantial vaporware. Where are those panic buttons at? ...

Sorry if I seem a little jaded, but I guess I just expect more than most people.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
This is John from IPVM. Yes, we are talking about Ezviz. Ezviz used to be a Hikvision brand / cloud service. Now, Hikvision has created a new company named Ezviz, which is a big shift. They have also stripped the previous references on Ezviz to Hikvision and are positioning Ezviz as a completely unrelated company (as shown here), selling Ezviz cameras and kits at Amazon, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. We did a trip to China earlier this month and to Hikvision's HQ (documented on another IPVM post) and have found that Hikvision is extremely aggressive. We believe they will continue to expand and move up market (as they are doing on the enterprise right now as well).

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've heard that Hik is staffing up to start selling in the US. Maybe that's why they're shutting down all the Ali sellers a month or so ago.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I've heard that Hik is staffing up to start selling in the US.
Hikvision has 200+ US employees supporting their own branded sales and has been rapidly scaling up the last 2 years. Their US operation is on the verge of being as big as Axis's, which is incredible considering it took Hikvision a few years to do what Axis did in 15 or so.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But as everything in a massive up scale, is the end user will be paying for the privilege. that is not good news in reality, but will open more doors than it closes.

The grey import market, has other players as said before dahua is now looking to collect and embrace that market it's work millions of easy revenue every year will little risk or overheads.

Ezviz so far has been very poor, and no better IMHO than foscam.