Hikvision local recording to Micro SD SDXC SDHC. Recommendations?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, word is my slow boat may dock today...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you might have guessed I wasn't right back. Nothing is as simple as it seems in my ipcam endeavor.

Physical stuff is pretty easy. If you can add the card before you mount the cam is of course easiest.

Had to take the dome off, obviously, remove black shroud, had to horizontally rotate the camera out of the way as the right side curved arm was in my way to insert the card (counted indent clicks left so I could do the opposite later and have camera back where it was), the orientation is depicted next to the slot, card slides in nicely, it clicks, if you push in again it'll neatly unclick.

Then went in through the browser. Advanced configuration. It saw the card. Had to format it. During the format the screen hung semi-dimmed /did not refresh. Clicked on another tab and back. Still said formatting. Probably for another 5 min or so. Once done it was ready. Capacity 58.5GB. Available 57.5GB.

Options for picture and video capacity don't work. Changed it to 5% - 95% no dice. 10% 90% ... So right it looks like unless I reformat maybe that 14GB is reserved for pictures I don't take???

Using some expert motion settings it didn't record. (probably operator error) Using basic ones it made several recordings to the sdxc.

Recordings were fine. Playback was fine. No delays. Stutter. Skips. Etc over cat6 LAN in the browser under playback. Then it has the calendar on the right and motion time segments indicated on the bottom. Takes it two secs to load the page over wifi on a netbook, playback is a bit slow. No big deal. Sure that has to do with cpu power and signal strength. Might take longer once there are more and more clips over the course of days, weeks, ...

iVMS ...

Went back to playing with iVMS and discovered that some of the "template" settings for recording were odd, like set to 1 or 2, even though I had all day event set before. Messed around with that some. Now I'm back to writing to the recording pcnvr drive! Huray. Don't need the sd cards any more ... sigh.

The only thing I'm not sure now, relative to the dome with the sdxc card in it, is whether iVMS for review pulls from the hard drive or the sdxc card. Can't tell among the network traffic overview and hard drive activity. I would hope it does it locally from the HDD, but does it? Tried to look on the pcnvr recording drive. No new clips yet with today's date? I guess the close to 8000 files in there at 256MB a piece are place holders from the time you formatted the drive for use with ivms, and then as needed it fills in clips in the those blocks. As I've got nothing dated today, even though all cameras have been triggered by me or wind in the trees & shrubs. Anyway. The way iVMS is setting up that storage drive, I can't readily see whatever was recorded in the last hour, two hours ... to find a duplicate of the sdxc clip. Seems the drive space allocation is different then one sees with a regular camera that stores pictures and clips as needed one after another with the current time date stamp.

Now I'm back to a little bit of another issue that's plagued me before with iVMS, and I wonder if it has something to do with more than one system looking at streams, dual recording ... If there are ten clips on SDXC and when I first had three, in the browser those were instant, crisp, fps fine, etc. In iVMS seeing 10 recordings, the same first three play fine - which should only be on the SDXC - the the later ones are stop motion? So I figured, OK, let iVMS and the other channels be. Download clips to desktop. Play in VLC ... except vlc plays the first frame for 30 secs (sigh) ... LOL ... and thus this saga / adventure / time sinkhole continues ;)

Anyhow:

The Samsung 64GB EVO cards work. May just encounter a space allocation glitch in configuration panel with regards to picture/video.

As far as dual. I think it is doing it. I just triggered motion. Walked in the door. Refreshed the playback log screen, or click another tab and back into playback, and the clip is there, local recording on sdxc ... and playback is fine. So it does local on camera fine.

And I think edge recording, on camera storage only, may work too, all on camera local flash recording without a hard drive in iVMS, but iVMS quirks certainly aren't helping. And extra documentation on some details would help.

To be continued? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 64GB card formated to: 59953.3M

Its normal; storage manufacturers refuse to use base-8 when dealing with bits.. instead of 1MB = 1024kbits they are assholes and 1MB = 1000kbits... this makes actual capacities much lower than advertised capacities; and then you add in overhead from the file-system its self.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hate the storage manufacturers for that. The difference just keeps on growing as we move up in capacity. Even back when the gap was smaller, it stunk, because storage space was so expensive.

I was just including it for completeness, really, so others remember that 64GB will hold a chunk less. A huge chunk, actually, from 64GB down to 57GB is about 1/8th! Then you see the vms allocation hump, where it decides to pre-allocate 14GB to pictures (?!) you're down to 43 ... that's a lot of capacity going out the window. And, that thing with the allocation didn't sit well. Figured they must have wanted the quota set first, rather than allowing allocation after the fact. So I decided to format again.

This time I changed the quota % FIRST (lower on the screen, can't set GB) to 2% & 98% and then pushed format (higher on the screen).
Screen again gets a grey overlay and the counter is indicating progress actually. May have missed that the first time around on the pc, fearing the browser locked up.

Now I get 1GB even for pictures and 57GB even for video. That's more like it.

The wind moving tree branch shadows across the driveway had already eaten up 4GB this afternoon, so there goes the idea that the 64gb card may take a couple weeks to fill up. LOL.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sony 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 took 3 minutes to format,
58GB available.

awot4m.jpg

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it takes a bit of time to format the card.

I looked at a few clips from the past night. I just so happened to default at midnight with three raccoons walking through! Without previous next button I had to scrub back, and oddly enough, right before that one of our cats was out, and made a u turn before the raccoons came minutes later. Figured I wanted to retain the raccoon clip and then remembered I still wanted to see the transfer speed out of the camera, so downloaded those two clips.

Transfer speed out of the camera is about 2.4MB/s.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

:eek:nthego:

SanDisk has said that it isn't even close to the limits of the form factor and it plans SD cards which will hold up to two terabytes.

anyone got $800 for a memory card? :D

DavidO

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive been happy with Sony Class 10 uSD cards; Ive got a 64GB in my PTZ recording D1 15fps @ highest video quality 24/7 and it almost holds 3 days of video..

Unfortunately Industrial MicroSD's cards cost a fortune and are hard to find bigger than a few GB; so a standard consumer grade one is your best bet; just dont cheap out on it because the cheapest cards are dog ass slow and a few dollars more is often 3-4x faster.

You should get more than a few months life out of one; id presume several years of constant recording before blocks start wearing out.. if you figure my setup holds ~3 days then gets overwritten thats only 121 full writes a year; shouldn't hit wear issues for a good while as it should be able to do that a few thousand times.

My biggest concern about longevity of uSD cards is if they will survive a Colorado winter; you cant get consumer uSD cards that are rated for -40 degrees.. Ive seen it almost get to -20F here in Denver.. however I have Sony SD cards in 2 vehicles that are not garaged and they survived the winter fine.. but thats read-only for music.
Sandisk does have additional model lines besides the Ultra line. See the Extreme Plus model which has faster read/write, a lifetime warranty and it's even a little cheaper than the Sony card linked in this thread: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM1BDPK/
A reviewer of the Sony card said it has a 1 year warranty while the Australian Sony site says 5 years and the US Sony site is missing specifications.

I did a calculation before for how long a card should last with continuous writing in an IP camera application based on the some memory endurance specs I found. It was something like 460 years.

The Sandisk Extreme Plus is rated for the same minimum operating temperature as the Sony (-25C), but it's also rated for a minimum storage temperature of -40C. I didn't see a storage temp spec for the Sony. Keep in mind that your device (IP camera) can have an effect on the operating environment. Cameras have lower minimum continuous operating temperatures than start-up temperatures. You can also get Hikvision cameras with heaters that will operate in -40C. I expect that the memory card will also work in those conditions because it will be heated by the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having frame drop issue with 64GB Samsung Evo Plus. Even in 8mbit medium recording. Has anyone have the same problem?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm having frame drop issue with 64GB Samsung Evo Plus. Even in 8mbit medium recording. Has anyone have the same problem?
I have these in all my Hiks: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDXC-Standard-Packaging-SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA/dp/B010Q588D4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I drop frames all the time but I do record 4MP @20fps @8192 bitrate. I haven't tried lowering the resolution, etc., to lessen the strain on the cards. I wonder if the Sony brand could handle the recordings any better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nayr - thanks for sharing the info re: the recommendation for the 64GB SD card. We are new customers to Hikvision but recently had cameras installed around our property for safety. I called Hikvision & was told that the system will hold a few months of video at a time but that we should either put each month's recordings on an SD Card or have a separate back-up drive in case we need to access it. When you say your 64Gb card only holds 3 days of video (72 hours), I assume 1 card will not hold an entire month at a time, correct? (just doing the math). If you want an entire month's worth of video, what do you do? The Hikvision rep stated that's a lot of memory to capture. We're afraid we will lose recordings that we've had since installation if we don't start placing on an SD card or have a 2nd backup now. Any expertise is appreciated.
If you want to store a month of video you get an external NVR, Ive got 7 cameras all 1080p or better and 10TB of storage in my NVR.. I dont get a month of 24/7, almost but not quite.

it only holds 3 days of video at low quality substream, if you want full quality you'll only fit a day on a 64GB card.. most cams 64GB is maximum, some new ones will take 128GB but you still got a long ways to go.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use BI to record motion detection on my 4MP Hiks and I use a rather high resolution and fps....wondering if there's a way to record the substream to the sdcard rather than the main stream without affecting my BI setup?

EDIT: Appears you can. In the storage settings within the Hik software, select Advanced>Record>Substream. Earlier firmware will not have an advanced option, but rather an obvious drop-down option.

Last edited:

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know a person who has obsession with in-dash cams, he buys every new in-dash cam model. He said class4 micro-sd are better for that kind of all-time overwrite recording. I don't know he is true or not. He said he has problems with only fast micro sds.