HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for this post. Very helpful.

Was it difficult running the cable behind all the drywall?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
No everything was wall fished from the attic or reverse wall fished from the crawl so there was no internal drywall cutting required. I've pulled prob a few hundred thousand feet of cable over my time though so saying its easy isn't fair for someone that is a novice.

Thank you for this post. Very helpful.

Was it difficult running the cable behind all the drywall?

acidman

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/examples

@Alphax - See below

I also dumped several guides into the New Member section that will give you a great amount of information on the IP Camera world so feel free to take a look at those - I think the post has gotten bumped off the main page though with so many new introductions but here is a link to all the guides.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7097-Resource-Guide-on-IP-Technology-for-all-Noobs
Those quides were exactly what I was looking for in reading material. Thank you for posting the link!

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

@zero-degrees this thread has really helped with so much for me. And there are several others that have given me individual help and I appreciate it very much!

In regards to the quote below. I have a barn and garage that I plan to run approx 3 cameras at each location, and plan to locate the NVR at my house with approx 3 cameras there. Approx 9 total. I plan to have a 16ch NVR.

Question is: What is your thoughts on either a homerun from each camera to the NVR, or a POE switch in the barn and garage?(unconditioned space in the midwest) Barn approx 200' away and garage around 100'.
-- I've also seen some posts regarding issues with PoE ports dying on their switches and as a result some people choosing to use PoE injectors. Are you able to share which switch you have chosen to use, if any, and the model # of your NVR and your performance and interface experience with it? I'm most concerned about throughput and maximized the fps and resolution without overloading the system.
I do not use LTS switches. I use cisco or netgear POE switches when not running directly into NVR systems with POE switches integrated in. I am not a fan of POE injectors as its just more pieces and inline equipment. I have used the Platinum LTS NVR's (4,8,16 channels with POE intigrated). The interface is great, simple, and easy to configure and use. Within a few minutes your up and running and within an hour you can have everything setup and configured (motion detection, email alerts, advanced analytics, POE port information, etc). There 8/16 channel NVRs can record 16 channels @ 4mp/20fps 24/7 or up to 160Mbps, so overload shouldn't be a concern.
Thank you kindly for your time and input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

@zero-degrees this thread has really helped with so much for me. And there are several others that have given me individual help and I appreciate it very much!

In regards to the quote below. I have a barn and garage that I plan to run approx 3 cameras at each location, and plan to locate the NVR at my house with approx 3 cameras there. Approx 9 total. I plan to have a 16ch NVR.

Question is: What is your thoughts on either a homerun from each camera to the NVR, or a POE switch in the barn and garage?(unconditioned space in the midwest) Barn approx 200' away and garage around 100'.

Thank you kindly for your time and input!

I'm not the one you asked for, but I can help with your question somewhat. I too am in Indiana and I have well over 1000 cameras and in many/most cases they are long runs. You can do 200 foot runs no problem if you want to, I quite literally have several Hikvision cameras on 450 foot runs with no issues for over a year now. That said there is no reason you could not have a switch out there and run them on that. This will save you a lot of running cable which is why you are interested I would assume. I use several switches in areas with no heat or air with no bad results so far over many years. Usually people want switches that are quiet, I'd get some with fans in your case but otherwise you should be fine.

Basic inexpensive zyxel switches have worked for me for three plus years running easily enough in locations like this so you should be fine. Even better when only running 3-4 cameras and not using full power from the switch. Shoot, I have an inexpensive laptop running in a closed in space with no heat or air, outdoors running my NVR software and recording to an external hard drive. It has been in place for over 4 years now, internal hard drive failed at 3.2 years and I replaced it with an SSD, and put it back. I literally never expected it to be reliable but it is running like a champ. $300 laptop getting cooked and frozen over and over with no issues. (note this is an unusual situation, please realize it is not a recommendation lol)

I have never replaced a switch that did not fail for a reason I understood, like lightning. Never had one die of heat or anything unexpected like that yet anyway. Now lightning, yes, that will kill them dead. Good thing we never get storms in Indiana.....

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I'm not the one you asked for, but I can help with your question somewhat. I too am in Indiana and I have well over 1000 cameras and in many/most cases they are long runs. You can do 200 foot runs no problem if you want to, I quite literally have several Hikvision cameras on 450 foot runs with no issues for over a year now. That said there is no reason you could not have a switch out there and run them on that. This will save you a lot of running cable which is why you are interested I would assume. I use several switches in areas with no heat or air with no bad results so far over many years. Usually people want switches that are quiet, I'd get some with fans in your case but otherwise you should be fine.

Basic inexpensive zyxel switches have worked for me for three plus years running easily enough in locations like this so you should be fine. Even better when only running 3-4 cameras and not using full power from the switch. Shoot, I have an inexpensive laptop running in a closed in space with no heat or air, outdoors running my NVR software and recording to an external hard drive. It has been in place for over 4 years now, internal hard drive failed at 3.2 years and I replaced it with an SSD, and put it back. I literally never expected it to be reliable but it is running like a champ. $300 laptop getting cooked and frozen over and over with no issues. (note this is an unusual situation, please realize it is not a recommendation lol)

I have never replaced a switch that did not fail for a reason I understood, like lightning. Never had one die of heat or anything unexpected like that yet anyway. Now lightning, yes, that will kill them dead. Good thing we never get storms in Indiana.....
Thanks for the great input Razer! I have heard it both ways so just checking to see what everyone thinks. For me, I'm a maintenance guy, so most finesse with the networking is not my forte so NOT having a switch is one less thing for me to configure and talk to.

And yes, I am on a lighting prone southwest facing hill in southern Indiana.....lol....lots of grounding to my runs to buildings!

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Zero, what is the specific DVR model you're using LTN8716-P16?

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thx for the follow up! Great post BTW.

Dclemmons

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example

I understand wanting to save money at times on certain things... However do you really want to chance an imported hacked firmware device with no warranty via amazon or alliexpress? Especially if the home or business you are trying to protect is compromised and that imported/hacked device fails... The quality and support received from US suppliers is A+ from my experience with them. For the most part my "serious" customers have no issue paying the premium for the US branded products. One of my business buildings does have 24 3mp IP cameras from Weisky Tech that I put in a few years ago when 3mp was just taking hold. They are a combination of domes and bullets - no turrets or matrix IR. They are all routed back to a cisco POE switch and into a 32 CH NVR. They perform amazing, however I've had to ship 2 cameras back to Weisky for warranty replacement and the shipping/customs/duties fees I could damn near buy a new camera. However Weisky Tech was a solid supplier with quality hardware and support (if you were okay with doing business late at night with the 12hr+ time difference).
Hello. I was told 3mp cameras are in a 4:3 format compared to 2.1mp and 4mp in a 16:9 format. I notice the 3mp cameras have more coverage from top of screen to bottom of screen and 2.1mp and 4mp have a wider view on a 16:9 screen . What are your thoughts on this ?