HikVision manually recorded video not playable

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
If I log on to my NVR web gui, go to Live View and manually trigger recording, the files that is being stored on my computer is not not playable. VLC v3.0.8 open the file and play it but there is no image. Same with Media Player Classic. I wonder if it's encrypted somehow? If so, how do I play it?
If I logon directly to one of my cameras and do the same there the files plays fine.
What am I missing?

NVR: DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P
Firmware: V3.4.104 build 190128

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a small enough sample that that you could upload it somewhere so we can examine it?

What codec did VLC report as being used in the files?

What codec (eg h.264 / h.264+ / h.265 / h.265+) is set for the camera in question?

I'd guess that your media player doesn't support the codec.

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tested both IE and PaleMoon browsers. Same issue.
VLC says it's:
MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) hevc
Another file is:
H264 - MPEG-4 ACD (part 10) (h264)
I've tested to change the video settings but it really doesn't seem to matter.

It acts as it does not support the codec or possibly as it's encrypted. But I doubt that VLC not should support the codec that HikVision use...

If I download a recorded file from the NVR it plays alright. It's just when I record manually from the webgui...

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't put much effort into this but I just download Hikvisions own media player, VSPlayer, and now I know what the problem is. The video is password protected!!! With the same password I must enter for the NVR to be able to view the stream from the cameras.
Now, I've found the problem. How do I solve it...? I don't find any settings for this, except maybe if I remove the crypto key. Is that the way to go?

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision recorders while saying the video is in an MP4 format is not a standard MP4. VLC player will play some but not all. For best viewing use Hikvision’s own VS Player software to watch downloaded clips. The VS Player can also convert the file to a standard file that can be viewed with any software. As far as the password protected.... Do you have stream encryption enabled on your recorder? This is listed under Network/Advanced/Platform Access.

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision recorders while saying the video is in an MP4 format is not a standard MP4. VLC player will play some but not all. For best viewing use Hikvision’s own VS Player software to watch downloaded clips. The VS Player can also convert the file to a standard file that can be viewed with any software. As far as the password protected.... Do you have stream encryption enabled on your recorder? This is listed under Network/Advanced/Platform Access.
Yes, I've found that out the hard way :) Haven't tried to convert any video with VS player yet though.

And yes, Stream encryption is activated.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn off the stream encryption and see if that fixes the issue. VS Player is what Hikvision recommends to convert from their format to a standard format. So when you open VS Player look at the bottom there will be a toolbox icon. Click on that and you will see converter. Just select the file and what file format you want and it does the rest.

ScoobyBear

n3wb
Reaction score
If I disable what's under Network/Advanced/Platform Access I will no longer be able to watch via Hik-Connect as I see it...? If I have to choose, I rather have Hik-Connect than password-free video-files.
I got a crypto-key in the "Local" settings, Live view parameters section. Isn't that what you're talking about? I actually thought that this key was mandatory, but maybe not.

GeoffC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey ScoobyBear, did you get this sorted out. I'm having the same issue with h.264+-encoded videos. I'm finding that VSPlayer shows my clips as "invalid".