Hikvision Motion+Alarm Trigger Recording

Reaction score
Hello All,
Background:
I have an interior camera that I would like to record only when an alarm input is triggered and motion is detected. I've seen multiple videos and screenshots showing HIKVISION GUIs with options for a Motion+Alarm event. However I don't see this option on my DS-7608NI-E2/8P GUI. I checked my firmware and upgraded to the last available one (3.4.92). I also found that this NVR was discontinued only 3 months after it was installed so there will be no additional firmware upgrades that would add this functionality. The folks that sold me the system are telling me it is still relevant so they are not willing to work anything out with me. From a picture quality standpoint this maybe true because I'm not overly concerned with 4K. However, the functionality of motion+alarm event recording is important to me because I don't want to record when we are at home, but I want to be able to trigger an alarm output manually when we have baby sitters or automatically if the burglar alarm goes off.

My Questions:
1. Is this functionality available for the DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR? If so, how do you set it up because I am stumped and my GUI doesn't match anything else I've seen?
2. If it is not available, is there a firmware, say from the "I" or "Q" series that I could upgrade to get this functionality?

Any advice and support you can give is greatly appreciated!

Scott

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-7608NI-E2/8P
Is that the true and full model number? Check the label as well as the system info in the web GUI.

The model with the alarm I/O would be DS-7608NI/8P/A and it would have the Alarm I/O connector block (usually green) on the back panel.
If your device does not have that connector block - it does not have the alarm capability option.
It's not a firmware option, it's a hardware option.

By the way - the latest firmware is 3.4.103 : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Reaction score
The model number on the box and the web interface is as shown without the A. However, I do have the alarm block on the back and I already have my alarm wired in and able to trigger it. What I am not seeing is the option to select Motion+Alarm. I only have a selection for Continuous or Event.

In regards to firmware update, why does the European portal have a higher level than the US webpage? Are there any concerns using the European version?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see if I can properly understand what you aim to achieve.

I would like to record only when an alarm input is triggered and motion is detected.
That's the boolean AND, both motion AND alarm required to trigger recording on that particular camera, the alarm being an input to the NVR.

However, the functionality of motion+alarm event recording is important to me because I don't want to record when we are at home
This would be when the Alarm input to the NVR is forced to inactive, so no recording takes place even with motion.

I want to be able to trigger an alarm output manually when we have baby sitters
An alarm output? By this do you mean that you want to be able to enable motion recording on the chosen camera by having the alarm input to the NVR forced as active?

automatically if the burglar alarm goes off.
In this case the alarm input to the NVR is taken directly from the burglar alarm, not forced as active or inactive.

This below is what you'd expect to see for the recording actions in response to an alarm notification, either from an alarm I/O on the NVR itself, or from a connected camera that has alarm I/O. This from a 7816N/E2 that does not have alarm I/O built in.
It's the same on a 7616NI/K2 that does have alarm I/O built in.
What does your screenshot show?
upload_2019-4-25_21-8-56.png

Reaction score
First, I apologize, I’m not concerned about the output. That was a typo.
You are correct in that I only want to record when the alarm input is active and when motion is detected. In other words if I only have an alarm trigger without motion the nvr will not record. If I only have motion without the alarm input trigger the nvr won’t record.

As for a screen shot, I’m not at home so I will post it later. To describe it in words, it looks like yours but I only have the options for continuous and event. I don’t have motion, alarm, motion or alarm, or motion& alarm listed. This is my issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that is certainly quite odd.
Even the colour of it.

Presumably the Alarm Input and Alarm Output tabs show up in the Events settings page, and are trigger linked to your Camera2 channel ?
upload_2019-4-26_14-15-19.png

Reaction score
They aren't linked anymore as I have just set it back to record all the time on a motion event. But yes, I have those tabs. I've tried setting it up with motion enabled and with alarm trigger enabled, but it would just record on all motion events and if I created an alarm trigger it would continuously record until I stopped the alarm trigger. This has been extremely frustrating, especially when I see all the screenshots like yours and it just seems to be a firmware problem.

In regards to the firmware you mentioned from the EU portal, do you foresee any issues with me trying that one even though it isn't listed on the US Hikvision site? I'm curious if somehow the firmware GUI's are different depending on region.

Reaction score
alastairstevenson,
I upgraded to the firmware you suggest (3.4.103) and now I have the capability I was looking for. I wish the US site would list versions beyond what they do. Anyway, thank you for the help because you saved me $200 USD on a new model!

Thank you,
Scott