HikVision Nightmare - Reset Password Failed 2022

#&%)@%_@%

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several new HiKvision DVRS that I bought recently from an authorized dealer locally. I believe one got hacked because one day I found I could no longer access the streams remotely and the password that I'm 100% certain is the password I set is no longer accepted.

These are the OCB-7208HQHI-K1 models.

So, I downloaded the SADP tool from Hikvision and created the XML file as directed then emailed that to my local distributor.

He then sent the file to Hikvision and soon I received the response file.
However, the reset failed with code 2022 (I have no clue what that means)

The unit was never powered down, but no one at any time told me I had to leave the ethernet cable connected. But also, our network (like everyone elses) gets TONS of malicious traffic from China and other places so we block all Chinese IP addresses. So if this process requires allowing some place in China to connect to the DVR, that ain't happening. Not even sure if that occurs?
But as far as connections, I was only told not to "power the unit down" until I get the XML file back and uploaded it.

So, it's been over a week now and the very reason I bought these (home security) has been thwarted by the unit getting hacked, then not being able to reset the password. I travel a lot and need to be able to view the cameras remotely.

Does anyone know specifically if it is essential to not only leave the unit powered, but also connected to the internet all the while until the reset XML file is received and uploaded?

I guess all I can do is try again.

All these hoops to jump through for the end user and the unit was still hacked.

Thanks,
Is all this really necessary?
I'm sure anyone's who been through this charade can feel my pain haha

PS. Love the DVR's otherwise.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is all this really necessary?
It sounds like the DVR firmware, unlike the NVR firmware, does not have the several 'self-service password reset' facilities.
Is there a 'forgot password' link at the web GUI login page that triggers a 'Security Questions Q&A' dialogue?

#&%)@%_@%

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I had to use the SADP tool to create the XML file to send to the distributor I bought the DVR from.

They then sent the file to HikVision China (NOT USA)

China HikVision then sent them an XML file which they forwarded to me.

I used the HikVision SADP tool to upload the file China sent.....but it FAILED

So then I created another (fresh) XML file and sent that to the distributor where I purchased my DVRs

They then sent that file to China again

The next day the distributor sent me another XML file and this time it worked and the password was successfully reset.

Analysis............

The distributor had advised me to NOT POWER DOWN the DVR until I got the XML file from China (which I did not to my knowledge)

However, after the failure of the first attempt, I not only left the DVR powered, but also left the network connection to the network.
(Previously I had disconnected the network cable after creating the first XML file)
Note: it's possible that at some point during the first attempt the power to the DVR dropped momentarily because it was over a weekend so 4 days passed from the time I made the first XML export file until I got the reset XML file from China. On the second attempt, I did it during the week so it was only overnight. The network connection may have had noting to do with the process.

#&%)@%_@%

n3wb
Reaction score
Overall, I'm not 100% sure why HikVision has put up this much obstruction to resetting the password.

Is it to keep the DVRs from being hacked (they had a severe issue with a firmware flaw that allowed many of their DVRs to get hacked I read)

Is it to prevent someone from stealing your DVR and then using it?

In any event, it can be quite an inconvenience if for ANY reason you forget your password or the password is not accepted for ANY reason.

Suppose this happened the night before I had to leave town for an extended business trip. I would not have been able to view live streams not get any alerts from the DVr in question.
To me, this FAR outweighs Hikvisions reasons. Suppose a business is burglarized or robbed during the period of trying to reset the password. The interested parties may be deprived of potentially life saving and property saving real time intel.

#&%)@%_@%

n3wb
Reaction score
It sounds like the DVR firmware, unlike the NVR firmware, does not have the several 'self-service password reset' facilities.
Is there a 'forgot password' link at the web GUI login page that triggers a 'Security Questions Q&A' dialogue?
Not that I have seen or am aware of.

kristaps

n3wb
Reaction score
ReRun SADP tool as administrator , then request new XML files, . wait for reply from support, then use the new XMLs to reset thepassword. Worked for me.

Reaction score
had the same issue... first had 2015, then 2023 and then finally 2022 which it won't stop giving me.... the first two I worked through. The third one I can't get to stop..... Is requesting a new file the only solution? Also, how long are those reset files you get back from Hikvision good for? One place said 24 hours and others are telling me they are only good for 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated..

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple of days ago I had the same issue (same error). It was solved by temporarily disabling antivirus software (in this case 360 total security) during the file import.
Other clue: On the PC running SADP software use wired connection (instead of wi-fi). Sometimes this also helps.