Hikvision NVR 7604/7104 Telnet?

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to access the NVR's via Telnet with the newer firmware?

Using the following hardware and firmware

7604 - V3.4.62 build 160503
7104 - V3.0.18 build 151231

Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to access the NVR's via Telnet with the newer firmware?
Hikvision have removed telnetd from Busybox in the 3.4.62 firmware, and added Dropbear for SSH.
But either way - you would only have the 'psh' shell with it's large but not hacking-useful command set.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about for the 7104 looking to enable NATing so I can access the cameras on the internal PoE? Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've no experience of the 7104, sorry.
Does it have the 'Virtual Host' option like the 76xx/78xx series?
If so, this implicitly enables the 'kernel IP forwarding' facility between the NVR LAN and PoE interfaces.
All you'd need after that would be to add a static router to your LAN gateway (presumably your router), something like
'For network <NVR_PoE_Interface> route via 'NVR_LAN_Interface_address>

By the way - I've not (yet) tried the apparent SSH access to 7604 using 3.4.62, the observation was just from looking at the firmware contents.
This is something I'll get round to, that playback timeline feature is worth having.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI the playback timeline also supports line and intrusion detection on that firmware. (have to play with it more to see how good it is)

I have the virtual host option on the 7604 and it works great. Looks more of a NAT/PAT translation rather than routing as its giving me the option to access the cameras on the same IP address as the NVR however with a different port. e.g. NVR 192.168.1.150 and cams http://192.168.1.150:65001.

That said it works for me it was pure curiosity that I wanted to enable routing on the 7604.

I don't have that option on the 7100's and to be honest we will be phasing them out shortly and moving to 7600 series as a standard it would just be nice to know if it can be done as it helps me to provide remote support to clients having IR issues etc. (as it looks like is use to could in previous firmwares with that IP forwarding you speak of)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, 'Virtual Host' is a proxy arrangement, but the kernel routing is standard Linux
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
There are a few posts on the topic of accessing PoE-connected cameras from the LAN.
The key requirement is the LAN routing addition, once the kernel ip_forward is active.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup cool I can do the LAN routing no problem. Can even ping 192.168.254.1 however it doesn't pass traffic.

Guess there is no way to fix that without having telnet and enabling IP-Forward on the box.

Thanks for your input!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What I found on the older firmware that didn't have Virtual Host (I think it was 3.2.1) the NVR was swallowing the port 80 HTTP traffic to the PoE ports, so I set the camera HTTP ports to 90 on the PoE cameras.
But not a problem with the 3.3.4 firmware.

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting.

In responding to your previous post I realised I may have not put a gateway in for the camera (used plug and play add).

I have now manually added the camera and set a gateway it seems to pass all traffic to the camera. Awesome! (relatively useless and less effective having to add a route in but awesome none the less)

That's on the 7604 with "Virtual Host" enabled.

It doesn't work on the 7104. :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the camera gateway requirement. On all the firmware I've loaded so far, the NVR puts the LAN gateway into the camera using plug and play, which won't work. So it needs charged to the PoE interface address.