Hikvision NVR 7608 NI-SE/P virtual host

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I am been browsing the settings on the NVR and I came across the virtual host option.

i tried searching the manual but could not find anything.

Anybody used or came across this option?

kind regards

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a HikVision 7608 NI-E2/8P/A

I'm trying to access the cams individually from my LAN (192.168.1.*), but its not possible because all cams are on the NVR's internal interface (192.168.254.*)

I believe the Virtual host option is for this very purpose.

It would allow me to add a static route, and then the NVR will forward packets from my LAN to the camera, so I could access them directly via IP in a browser, or via ssh etc

Sadly my NVR firmware doesn't offer the Virtual Host option, so I'm jealous :(
If Ive understood it correctly its a very useful option to have

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, Virtual Host is a handy feature. Which my NVRs don't have - so I did a bit of internal tinkering, as not only do I wish to access the cameras directly, but I'm also pulling video streams from the PoE connected cameras to another NVR (to experiment with) and to QNAP Surveillance Station where the Playback timeline usefully has coloured regions for the motion-triggered recordings. Which it would be great if the NVR web GUI also had.

But there are a couple or more ways to access PoE cameras from your normal LAN.
As you mentioned forwarding packets, check out this thread:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=ip_forward
And for a less techy but perfectly good approach:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE?highlight=ip_forward

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, my problem is my NVR does not allow access to the underlying linux filesystem, even after I enable telnet and log in (so cannot use the soln in that thread).

Instead I'm presented with a heavily crippled busybox (with a small number of commands - more of an API than an OS)
I could not find any way to break out of BusyBox (so modifying /proc/* isnt possible, at least I couldnt find a way)

As luck would have it, Ive since found the Virtual Host feature, hidden away in the 'Other' section in the web gui, so my NVR now lets me access cams directly (it exposes them on different ports of the NVR IP)

I would still love to be able to tinker with the underlying NVR OS though