Hikvision NVR - a few noob questions

dala

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a NVR to replace my current Synology Surveillance Station setup. I don't find Surveillance Station easy enough to use and the app support (iOS) is not 100% reliable.

I currently have four cameras, one Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS (English version), one 2MP Huisun mini 10x PTZ and two D-Link 932L. There will most likely be a few more Hiks in the future to replace the D-Link's. Network-wise, my current setup is a mix of wired (Huisun) and wireless (Hik & D-Link) cameras

My questions.

1. If I get a Hikvision NVR with POE-ports, for example the new DS-7600NI-I2/8P, must all cams be connected to the POE ports of the NVR or would a setup like the picture below work? I.e, can a NVR with POE handle cameras connected to the router or to a switch in the network just as well as cameras connected directly to the NVR?

NVRSetup.JPG

2. If I get a Europe/Western Region NVR, can it be used both for western and china (brown box) versions of the Hik cameras? Or does western region cams only work with western NVR's and the other way around?

3. Does the Huisun mini PTZ work with Hikvision NVR like the DS-7600NI-I2/8P or is that camera only supported by some specific Hik NVR's? I've seen mixed results in this forum when people tried to connect the Huisun with a Hik NVR.

Many thanks for a great forum!
dala

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1 - all cameras have to be on the same network.
2 - Hikvision cameras have to be the same region as the NVR - ( brown box cameras will work if they have been correctly modified ) Cameras connecting using ONVIF are not affected by region
3 - Huisun camera will connect using ONVIF, cameras connecting using onvif may have limited functionality.

hope it helps

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
3. Does the Huisun mini PTZ work with Hikvision NVR like the DS-7600NI-I2/8P or is that camera only supported by some specific Hik NVR's? I've seen mixed results in this forum when people tried to connect the Huisun with a Hik NVR.

Many thanks for a great forum!
dala
Yes, it will work with regular Hikvision profile in NVR and PTZ functions are supported.

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. If I get a Hikvision NVR with POE-ports, for example the new DS-7600NI-I2/8P, must all cams be connected to the POE ports of the NVR or would a setup like the picture below work? I.e, can a NVR with POE handle cameras connected to the router or to a switch in the network just as well as cameras connected directly to the NVR?

View attachment 7501

yes it can work like your picture, just make sure all your cam (expect the Hikvison one) support ONVIF.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not so - if needed, you can mix and match cameras on PoE ports or the LAN, as per your network diagram.
True, though they would still be on the same network same network :) how ever that network is configured. ( not so true if you start talking about VPNs and routing across networks)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
True, though they would still be on the same network same network :) how ever that network is configured.
Actually not - the PoE network on a Hikvision NVR (by default 192.168.254.x) is a separate network segment from the one the NVR LAN interface is connected to, with, by default, no routing between them.
The PoE network is not on the same network as the LAN network.

Plenty of posts asking why cameras on the PoE ports are not accessible from the LAN.
And a few solutions in place to gain access.