Hikvision nvr abnormal shutdown

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, my nvr Hikvision 7608ni SE/p has at least twice restarted by it self. I don't know what is causing it. I don't think the power actually goes off in the house as the Internet is still connected and I have setup a monitor to check the Internet levels. No packet drops so not power disconnections.

Its nearly gone off every day. I have browsed the logs and can see at least 19 abnormal shutdowns from 01/08/2015 until today 17/09/2015.

what might be the issue?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the S.M.A.R.T data for the HDD(s) to see if there are any recorded problems such as reallocated sectors, uncorrectable errors etc.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently not near the nvr, I have remote access to the nvr but cannot find anything in the web menu for smart feature to check the HDD. If I do remember correctly it was visible when I connected a monitor to the nvr and there was an option to it. Will have to check it out.

the HDD is a western digital 4tb purple drive designed for surveillance. Am I right in thinking the HDD might be at fault?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The S.M.A.R.T data was added to the web GUI on fairly recent firmware - it may have been 3.3.4 though I'm not sure.
There have been some posts where the HDD was implicated in NVR restarts, especially when it became full.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have? And what hard drives are you using?

If you have alot of cameras you might want to divide the recording onto 2 or more hard drives (for example create two groups of hard drive, each group will have 1 hard drive, have camera 1-8 record to first one then camera 9-16 to the second one) i had this issue with a person with 48 cameras and they were all recording to the first hard drive while the other sleep, making the HD die and rebooting the NVR. once we did the grouping (he had 4 x HD total ) it was ok .

WD Purple is advertised as supporting a maximum of 32 cameras at 1080p but i'd take feature that with a grain of salt.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5 cameras all recording on to 1 HDD. Recording is set to motion detection only nothing continuous etc HDD is a WD purple 4tb surveillance HDD.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It happened today when I typed the IP of the nvr, it just hung on the screen and I.e was not responding, after which it beeped and restarted. What is noticed is it was recording just before that happened, don't know if it's a faulty camera. I will check the logs and see if it was the same camera or find a pattern

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally I'd stick 3.0.10 on there via TFTP. Not only will this reset the settings but it's a very stable release.

If that works then at least you know it was the NVR firmware or settings.

If you still have issues, disconnect one camera at a time to see if one is making it reboot. It could also be a grounding issue.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok will try that, in the mean time I am running bad sector test and smart test. Seems to be taking long to complete.

in the event I have to downgrade the firmware, are there any guides on this?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the bad sector test completed and all the blocks were green. the SMART test is still running and its currently at 90%

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you got it on a UPS? I wouldn't rely on your internet connection as an indicator of whether or not you are getting good power.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you got it on a UPS? I wouldn't rely on your internet connection as an indicator of whether or not you are getting good power.
No UPS connected, since the Internet was just put in I wanted to monitor it. Usually if there is a power cut to the modem router it does take time to come back up, therefore on the graph there will be a large packet drop. Seen by a red line.

When the NVR reboots, no packet drops are detected so no power cut.

From the logs it seems camera on d5 one a few occasions was recording just prior to going off.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What you have sounds like a power issue.

It could be something less than a full power outage, a momentary brown out caused by a faulty transformer on the local grid, something that will take your NVR off line but your modem can handle. A UPS would eliminate that as a possibility, and it is a good idea to have all camera systems on a UPS anyway to prevent criminals taking them offline by turning off the power.

If you NVR is powered by an external brick, change it out for another one. A faulty power supply could cause the issues you are having.

Another possibility is a shut down due to overheating. Has it been hot where you are? Extreme heat can also cause local brown outs as everyone switches on the air conditioning.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The nvr does not have a power brick, it has a power cable from the socket direct into the nvr. Over heating may be an issue i saw on the smart detection page I think it said 37 degrees but will need to confirm. The nvr is currently on top of a cupboard close to the ceiling.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have tried a different HDD, normally in 24hrs it will go off, this time it went a bit longer. Same abnormal shutdown.

Ahhhh

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Take it out of the cupboard and then see if it still happens. If not, then it's probably over-heating.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try to run the machine without a Hard drive and out of the cupboard. If it still reboots you might have to RMA it.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NVR wasn't in a cupboard but on top. I have now moved it to table height, not far from a window. I have also put it into a different wall socket just in case the electrician put in a dodgy socket or wiring. I have unplugged one camera and will see what happens, it usually within 24 hrs that something will happen.

Will keep you updated.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sad news still doing abnormal shutdowns :mad-new: