Hikvision nvr abnormal shutdown

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There may well be a clue in the kernel log about events preceding the shutdown - however I don't think in that version of firmware you have the full telnet access - can you confirm?
If you did, or if you had a serial console connection, you could hook up something like PuTTY to keep a running view of kernel events.
At the telnet command line,
cat /proc/kmsg
would show events in the kernel's ring buffer.
For serial console access, just leave PuTTY running.
As far as I know, there isn't a kernel log on the NVRs that survives a reboot.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I the firmware prior to me upgrading had telnet access under virtual host. I have just tried to find it via the browser remotely and it did freeze, and it rebooted again abnormal shutdown. There does seem to be telnet in this version of firmware as you stated. Could I try anything else?

i can get a serial console cable, how would I set it up?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 7608NI-SE/P - does it have an RS-232 plug on the back panel? As in the photograph here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5756-Think-I-bricked-my-NVR-Help!?p=52787&viewfull=1#post52787
If so, and you have a suitable DB9 terminated serial cable, all you need is a program like PuTTY, which can connect to telnet, SSH and serial/COM port destinations, and has a large scrollback capability.
You would configure the serial connection in PuTTY to match the serial configuration of the NVR, which is usually baud rate=115200, 8 bits, no parity.

If your NVR has the on-board 4-pin small TTL-serial connector for the serial console, these cables and USB adaptors will work:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3408-HIKVISION-mtd-Brick-Recovery-Guide?p=52699&viewfull=1#post52699

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately it does not have a serial connector, it has rs-485 connector. Inside not sure about the pins will check tomorrow and get back

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Checked the nvr and there is no pins inside. Should I return the nvr and purchase the ds-7608ni-e2/p