Hikvision NVR: cameras doesn't work w/ the built-in PoE switch

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,

I bought a Hikvision DS-7608NI-Q2/8P NVR and I'm trying to view live footage from the cameras or use the playback function. I'm using Internet Explorer with the activex plugin. They're connected via the built-in POE switch and it's not working...

On the cameras, I'm using DHCP and all the default ports (80 for http, 554 for rtsp and 8000 for management). The cameras are DS-2CD3345-I (Aliexpress).

After typing the password for the cameras I see: Offline(Network Abnormal)

I know that they're working because I was using MIlestone Xprotect w/ a dedicated PoE switch.

I know that the built-in PoE has an internal ip address of 192.168.254.x. I'm accessing the NVR via 192.168.1.x

The strangest thing is that it recorded for a little bit when I connected the camera(s) and I'm certain that I had an error message in the camera config window (see the attached screenshot). Tried to unplug, replug the cables, did a factory reset on the NVR, confirmed that the LEDs are blinking etc.)

I plugged the cams back in the PoE and tested them using VLC and everything is fine so what the heck am I doing wrong? D:

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I plugged the cams back in the PoE and tested them using VLC and everything is fine so what the heck am I doing wrong?
With the NVR PoE ports using Plug&Play mode (the default as seen by the settings being greyed out in your screenshot) you'd need to either reset the camera to defaults (so it's Inactive) and let the NVR Activate it.

Or - match the camera IP address to the address that the specific NVR channel is configured to use, and set the camera password to match that of the NVR, unless you are using the new NVR feature that allows a separate camera password.

So, for example, for your NVR PoE channel 1, power up the camera on your external PoE switch, change the password to be the same as that of the NVR if it's not already set like that, and set the camera IP address to 192.168.254.2
You'll lose connection when it reboots, that's normal.
Now connect the camera to NVR channel 1 and it should connect OK.

RBen

n3wb
Reaction score
With the NVR PoE ports using Plug&Play mode (the default as seen by the settings being greyed out in your screenshot) you'd need to either reset the camera to defaults (so it's Inactive) and let the NVR Activate it.

Or - match the camera IP address to the address that the specific NVR channel is configured to use, and set the camera password to match that of the NVR, unless you are using the new NVR feature that allows a separate camera password.

So, for example, for your NVR PoE channel 1, power up the camera on your external PoE switch, change the password to be the same as that of the NVR if it's not already set like that, and set the camera IP address to 192.168.254.2
You'll lose connection when it reboots, that's normal.
Now connect the camera to NVR channel 1 and it should connect OK.
Thank you very much. I edited the cams via Hikvision SADP to static and with a starting range of 192.168.254.2

I don't understand why it didn't work via DHCP though? No DHCP on the 192.168.254.x subnet on a Hikvision NVR?

Also, I have a Dahua cam and I'm not sure what to set the DNS server to? 192.168.254.1?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand why it didn't work via DHCP though? No DHCP on the 192.168.254.x subnet on a Hikvision NVR?
No, the NVR doesn't provide DHCP services.
What it does is to manage much of the camera configuration, when given valid logon credentials.
That does include configuring static network settings in the camera if a camera is presented in an 'Inactive' state and the NVR PoE channel is in Plug&Play mode.

Also, I have a Dahua cam and I'm not sure what to set the DNS server to? 192.168.254.1?
The NVR does not provide DNS services.
Why do you want the camera to be able to do DNS lookups?
Commonly this would be for an internet time source domain name, but usually the NVR will manage time on the connected cameras.
Other reasons might be for email notifications.

However - if you want an NVR PoE-channel-connected camera to be able to connect outbound to the internet, set the default gateway to the IP address of the NVR PoE interface, for Hikvision by default 192.168.254.1 and for DNS servers point to either your LAN router/gateway and / or popular DNS servers such as 8.8.8.8