Hikvision nvr - can't get it to talk to my qvis cameras

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all
After my old qvis NVR finally gave up the ghost I bought a new hikvision after much reading.

I have the hikvision ds-7608-ni-e2/8p/a model

My cameras are 3mp qvis dome cameras and I cannot for the life of me get them to work!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My cameras are 3mp qvis dome cameras and I cannot for the life of me get them to work!
OK - so how have you tried to connect them?
ONVIF, Custom Protocol (Generic RTSP)?
Do you know what ports to use, and assuming they are ONVIF compatible have you confirmed them with something like the very useful Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net ?
RTSP string at the bottom of the Live Video page.
ONVIF port in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
ONVIF events notifications showing in the Events page.

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I literally plugged them straight into the hikvision from the qvis NVR

I fired up the onvif DM and it wouldnt find the cameras - is this because they're connected through the NVR?

I'm going to connect one of them directly to the router but they're POE camera's so I'm not holding up much hope of it detecting them.

I have them selected as 'ONVIF' , it wont let me activate the camera's

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I fired up the onvif DM and it wouldnt find the cameras - is this because they're connected through the NVR?
By default, the NVR PoE interfaces network is not accessible from the LAN network, so ODM won't see them from the LAN. And it won't see them if their IP address is in a dfferent range than that of the PC. So -
Do you know if the cameras were configured with a static IP address, and do you know what they were?
On the NVR web GUI, check out and note down the IP addresses that each of the PoE ports are using.
By default it will be something like 192.168.254.2 and upwards.
Set the mode of the ports to 'Manual' instead of Plug&Play. ('Modify' button)

If the cameras had static addresses - on a temporary basis, - hook up your PC to a spare PoE port, set the PC IP address to something in the range the cameras were using and you should be able to browse to the cameras known IP addresses.
Then set each camera IP address to match that of the PoE port it's plugged in to, from your check above. Something like 192.168.254.2 and up.
Then change the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.254.100
At this point, ODM should be able to see the cameras, if they are ONVIF compatible.

With the PC back on the LAN, and it's IP address back to normal, on the NVR web GUI in Camera Management, pick a port with a camera, change the Protocol to ONVIF, change the port number to the ONVIF port that ODM showed, and if you are lucky the camera will connect. Given correct logon credentials.

Quite a few 'ifs' there - but easy enough to try.
Good luck!

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to do what you said in terms of plugging my laptop directly into a POE port - i was able to see the individual interfaces of each of the qvis cameras and changed all of the IP addresses over to what the Hikvision wants them to have, previously they were all '10.1.1.x'
it still doesnt want to see them however :(

the onvif device manager picks them up once im on the same network however

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
okay...
so i can see the cameras on onvif DM,
No matter how much I try to enable DHCP - it makes no difference
Even if i set IP addresses manually in the camera's it throws up an error about gateway is out of range

please help

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are actually making good progress - not far to go!
Even if i set IP addresses manually in the camera's it throws up an error about gateway is out of range
I forgot to mention the gateway - apologies.
The gateway value of the cameras should be set to 192.168.254.1
That is - assuming the default network values in the range of 192.168.254.2-254 for the NVR PoE ports.
No matter how much I try to enable DHCP - it makes no difference
Then set each camera IP address to match that of the PoE port it's plugged in to, from your check above. Something like 192.168.254.2 and up.
You need to set a static IP address on the cameras - and it must match the values you noted down from the NVR web GUI 'Camera Management' screen showing the corresponding NVR channel IP address.

With ODM, did you figure out what the 'ONVIF port' was?

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
you sir, are a complete and utter legend!!!

all working/i can see my cameras over the network, just have to register it all and get remote view working then im good to go!

next step will be to try and get a load of completely random camera's talking to the hikvision!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent!
Well done for getting there, sounds like a good result.
i can see my cameras over the network,
Does this mean that 'Virtual Host' is available and enabled on the NVR, and you can connect to the cameras' web GUI via the links in the right hand column of the NVR 'Camera Management' page?
next step will be to try and get a load of completely random camera's talking to the hikvision!
Check out the 'Custom Protocol' feature.
It's really just Generic RTSP but it lets you roll your own RTSP string for access.

Apples12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Yup, I literally just left the system alone for half an hour, with my laptop plugged into the poe port and assigned a static IP address, it then spoke to the cameras and changed the ip addresses to 192.168.254.xx from the previous 10.1.1.xx, all of a sudden it had picked up one of the cameras, then it was a matter of just dbl checking the passwords on the cameras, making sure the correct 'management' port was selected and hey presto!

I have an extra 4mp etrovision camera and also a 3mp avigilon so just have to download their respective apps and get them all setup/figure out the settings.

You've been a great help and thanks for the patience

If anyone stumbles across this thread - bear with it, it will work, give the devices time to talk to each other!

Final quest will be to make a false ceiling under the stairs under which I can hide the nvr - it's damn noisy!