Hikvision NVR, direct v router connectivity

Reaction score
Hell all, I got a Hikvision NVR recently after using Hikvision cameras for a year or two with a macbook.
A few questions. This was quite easy to set up, all cameras had previously been activated and I added them manually to the NVR. They are wired to a switch, then to the router and the NVR picks them up and it's all running sweet, handling 1080 video from three cameras.
1) Is there any benefit to connecting my cameras directly to the POE ports on the NVR. The cameras are all powered already so I don't need the POE but will it make any difference to how well the video is handled if I plug them into the ports directly.
2) why is there NO option at all to 'delete' files.
Thanks

MikeH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey peterdewolf- easy answer on #1, yes and no :)
I'd be tempted to say if everything is working fine, you're good. Are the LAN ports on your router and switch gigabit? If so, you probably have awhile until you saturate that and things start to slow down.

Reasons to plug into the NVR:
Completely isolate camera traffic from home network
Reduce traffic load on switch & router

Reasons to leave as-is:
If NVR dies, marginally easier to plug in a new one and get rolling again
If NVR dies, you can still access each camera individually via their IP

If either the LAN ports on the router or switch are only 100Mb, I'd definitely go direct to the NVR. You'll end up with a bottleneck between the NVR and router if you ever add more cameras.

Not sure if that helps any and I have no idea about #2.

Reaction score
Very good of you to reply, thank you. yes it's a standard 10/100 mb sky router SR102 and so is my switch. So to keep the best of both worlds, as per your advice, if I just get a gigabit switch and connect the cameras to that then connect it to the NVR and the router I should be enoying a gigabit network for my cameras and still be able to access then on the LAN. Is that correct

Last edited by a moderator: