HIKVISION NVR - Display and Network ports not functioning

Reaction score
I am using Hikvision NVR ( DS-7P08NI-E2 ) for my home surveillance system. Have two Hikvision IP cameras connected now and whole system was working great for last one year or so. Suddenly DVR was shown offline and I could not see the camera stream in Mobile App. When I looked at the device, noticed that NVR is not detecting the display ( monitor connected over VGA ) and network connection is also not active.
Few observations are :
1) Device is powering, power light, LED on main board PCB, LEDs on 8 port switch are glowing right
2) When I connect the camera to one of the PoPE port, both LEDs glow
3) Tried connecting to Display with HDMI port - No output
4) Tried connecting to TV over HDMI - No output
5) Tried connecting to different network router - No connection, device is still offline

It appears to me that the main board ( attaching the image ) is not functioning right and all external ports have stopped responding. I could not locate any hard reset button on the device.

Any directions on this would be helpful.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like the board has failed, maybe a power supply failure.
Does the power supply output 48v only, or 48v and 12v ? (check the label)
If you have access to a multimeter you could check the 12v and 5v power on the HDD power connector.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
Power supply indicates two voltages : 52V and 12V. I could measure the power input to the main board which shows 12v. Power input to second board ( with ethernet ports ) could not be measured. Not sure where the 52V intended for ?
Since main board is getting power (12v) and LED on board is also glowing, can I assume that the board has failed ? Or can I explore some more checks ?
If it is board failure, typically can it be fixed or we need to replace the board ?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The 52v feeds the PoE interface circuits.
Checking power is only a basic first step.
There are multiple power converters on the board.
Most of the logic will be using 3.3v, the main CPU/SoC uses about 1.1v
I suspect the Ethernet interface will operate even if there CPU is not active.

Ready enough to do though, and it may yield useful info, is to connect up to the serial console. That's the 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector. Needs a wired plug, and a serial TTL to USB convertor.